AMHA AMHR Differences?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Cowgirl

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this has been covered many times before. I am new to Mini horses, not new to horses. What are the differences between AMHA and AMHR? Is there a preference of registry? I did a little search and didn't come up with any info.

Thanks for your time.

AMHA registers 34" and under. AMHR registers 38" and under.

Some people have a preference of registry, and it may depend on which registry has shows in their area, or more shows in their area. Some like me may have both under 34" and over 34" to 38" miniatures and it is more convenient for us to go to AMHR shows where we can show both sizes at one show. Some may have more friends showing at a certain registry. We used to show both AMHA and AMHR shows, the more shows the better was our motto back when we had lots more energy, lol!

I suggest that if you have access to shows by both registries, attend both, see which you prefer. Your preference (if you develop one) may be for the different style of one show committee over another, rather than anything having to do with the registry itself.

One advantage of AMHR (if you breed or buy youngsters) is that a foal is less likely to "outgrow" that registry. All our minis are registered in both AMHR and AMHA (plus Pinto) but one of our 2012 foals by a 30" stallion is almost certainly going to be >34" at maturity and outgrow his "A" papers, but he will still keep his "R" and Pinto papers. .And I agree with Magic that what goes on at your local level may have more to do with your preference than the registry itself.

Latest posts

Back