Wish I knew how close my mare is to foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellah32

Reaction score
My mini mare is very pregnant and I recently seen a little dry blood on vulva she has dropped and becoming tired. She is still eating well no sign of milk but she has foaled 2 or 3 times before I got her. I am not getting vet out now as it too costly and may need to keep that money aside in case there are any troubles when she is giving birth. Her vulva does look more relaxed than a week ago but not completely. I have put her in a stable but may let her out in paddock with stable gate open for her as I dont want her locked up for weeks as I just don't know how long I do know within 7 weeks from what I timed she was last on heat. Have attached pics from about 10 days ago. This will be my first foal and mare was with my shetland x who has been geldered nov last year and he is a few inches shorter than her which will make a smaller foal..

Anna

P6096570.jpg

P6096581.jpg

P5296501.jpg

By all means post on the Mare Stare/Chat forum! They were a huge help to us.

I am a bit concerned about the blood you saw on her vulva??? A similar thing happened to someone posting on that forum - it was a string of blood you could see - which turned out to be a sign of placentitis, which can be very serious. Maybe an over-reaction on my part to what happened to someone else, but at least get opinions from that forum.

And don't feel alone in wishing you knew how close your mare is to foaling! That is EVERYONE'S wish!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET YOUR VET OUT ASAP!

Targetsmom is talking about my experience this year with my experienced broodmare. I just thought it was mucous plug and it wasn't.....it was a early sign of placentitis which lead to a foal that only lived 10 minutes as it had turned her whole body septic and she was too far gone and I had to have my mare induced and she had to be flushed and given loads of antibiotics!

At the very least have your vet out to do bloodwork - if I had done that when I first noticed it I had a great chance of saving the foal but I didn't and lost my beautiful filly and she was my only one due for this year.

Praying for you and your mare

Latest posts

Back