Photo

Foaling Videos for use as a learning tool

33 replies to this topic

#1 Joanne

Joanne

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Breeding colorful, quality miniature horses.. We love to discuss genetics, especially color genetics, as well as horse breeding, and learning from others as much as sharing our information.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

With the help of the volunteers at Mare Stare that record many of the births, LB is going to try and put together a show and tell area about foaling.

What I have started doing is looking at the previous foaling of the mare that is about to foal to remind myself of any problems that may have occured, and to think about how I would deal with them differently this time.

This first video is of Abyss's 2010 foaling. She was a maiden and I bought her in foal. This is a tough video to watch as she is not a big mare, and as I was trying to pull the foal out she just came with me. I had no one to hold her steady while I pulled the foal. I changed my technique this year on another mare and I think I have solved this problem when I am here alone. I now plant myself in front of her back legs, anchoring her, so she can not continue to move.

Now here is her foaling from last Saturday, two years later. This is a textbook easy foaling. You will see me give a thumbs up at one point. You will also see me give the mare an injection of Banamine to ease her post birthing pain. We give this to all our mares just after they birth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLWIrQ-Uc0

From a breeder's perspective, from the moment the water breaks and for the next 20 minutes or so, the birth is a life or death experience. When luck is on our side, everything come our right. When it does not, it is heartbreaking for us all.
  • Debby - LB likes this
Conformation in a Colorful Package!

Joanne Abramson
Pacific Pintos Miniature Horse Farm

Pacific Pintos Website

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Miniatures

Miniatures

-

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thank you Joanne. This is exactly what I was hoping for -- an excellent video. I also like that it showed how you took your time with Abyss her first year, working that little head through carefully, so momma wouldn't tear. These "tight fits" in maiden mares can be very tricky, and I will be trying your learned technique for positioning yourself so momma "stays put" while your helping -- as I am always alone when foaling, and have also had this problem.

Thank you again.

Please, if you have a video that you would like to share here for some of our "new" people just having their first foaling experience, please feel free to post it so we can all learn. We also appreciate any comments you have about what the particular situation was (if there was a difficulty) and how it was resolved. We want to use these for education purposes, to help teach proper techniques and steps you can take to ensure your baby arrives safely on the ground.

Update 2013:

Thanks to Chanda, we have a map of Selenium -- a vital part of having healthy newborns.  You'll see us mention it in many threads.  If you are in one of the areas of the country that has almost no selenium naturally occuring, you should consider adding selenium to the diet of your mare to help produce a healthy baby.

I personally had one year of almost all losses that was identified as a selenium deficiency by my equine vet.  I now use a Purina product call Natures Essentials: Free Choice 12:12 that I feed my mares during pregnancy especially.  Omolene 300 -- the Purina Mare/Foal growth feed has 0.35 ppm of Selenium -- which just wasn't a high enough amount of selenium to get healthy foals on the ground for me.  The Free Choice 12:12 has 35.0 ppm, and since using that as a supplement, my losses had a remarkable decline.

Just a BIG thank you to Chanda for finding this map!

Selenium Map.jpg

Edited by Castle Rock Miniatures, 15 February 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#3 cassie

cassie

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,244 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Below is the video of my miniature pony Suzie foaling last year. It was my first foaling and thankfully as textbook as they come :)

hope it helps :)
  • little lady likes this

#4 Miniatures

Miniatures

-

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I hope some more of you friends that have your births video'd will post them here, so some of our new people can see more mares giving birth. Remember, mares are so very different, the more we can "see" the different mares, the more we learn about how things can progress and go.

If you had a "problem" birth, please make sure you tell us what was happening and how it got resolved.

Heidi -- get that video posted of Cam -- I know YOU are one who has a video birth. :whistling

Connie, I'm hoping you'll share some of yours, and more of you who have allowed us in your barns will also share yours. This could be a very good educational thread for all of us!

Thanks everyone! :ThumbUp You're all the greatest!

#5 a mini dream come true

a mini dream come true

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, Quilting,

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Here is the Video of April foaling this year. My first foaling. It was red bag, but thanks to wonderful marestarers alerting me everything turned out fine. Eddy is now 2 weeks old and quite the handsome little man.

• little lady likes this
Hazel

#6 Joanne

Joanne

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Breeding colorful, quality miniature horses.. We love to discuss genetics, especially color genetics, as well as horse breeding, and learning from others as much as sharing our information.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hazel that was a great job! I had no idea you had a red bag without you telling us.
Conformation in a Colorful Package!

Joanne Abramson
Pacific Pintos Miniature Horse Farm

Pacific Pintos Website

#7 Maple Hollow Farm

Maple Hollow Farm

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Here are some of ours foaling:

buttons foaling 2012

Dolly foaling 2012

Diamond foaling 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQOCg63HtvI
  • little lady likes this

Melinda Selk (Jackson)
Maple Hollow Farms
Dysart, IA
http://www.maplehollowhorsefarm.com

#8 MBhorses

MBhorses

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,342 posts
  • Interests:We love animals.We have minis, dogs and cats.Our animals are like our children we love each and everyone.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

I would like to thank everyone for sharing :) I don't have videos but I have photos.
Posted ImageFancy foaling 2008 She foaled at 308 days
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Imagewhite bubble is Great :)
Posted Image her filly Mia 2008 She was maiden mare
  • little lady likes this
Paint By Numbers Ranch

Clay & Melissa Bynum

We love all animals Big or Small.

For God so loved the world, that he gave
his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should
not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

#9 MBhorses

MBhorses

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,342 posts
  • Interests:We love animals.We have minis, dogs and cats.Our animals are like our children we love each and everyone.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

My mare lace I owed 2008 second foal
Posted Imageshe hoofs :)
Posted Image
Posted Imagesee nose now :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
2008 bay pinto filly
I hope this helps show folks
  • little lady likes this
Paint By Numbers Ranch

Clay & Melissa Bynum

We love all animals Big or Small.

For God so loved the world, that he gave
his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should
not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

#10 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

This is a video of our mare Toffee foaling and the video is not the best, but the point it makes is that mares can progress a LONG ways into foaling without ever lying flat out. As a matter of fact she was wearing an Equipage and the pager never went off!!! It is a good thing she was on Mare Stare and on this board so I was alerted that she looked close and I was ready (more or less!) when she went down. Other than the mare progressing pretty far with out lying flat, it was textbook, which was a good thing because the foal was huge!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_akElGzk2o
Here is a better photo taken when the cord is still attached and we are letting him sit like that for a few minutes to allow more blood to flow through the cord.
Posted Image
  • little lady likes this

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users