New Filly Dwarf????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, angles are not the best and so hard to tell on newborns unless they are very seriously affected but looks like she has some charateristics...also looks like her bite is off?? She is so very adorable though, with your farriers assistance I think those legs will straighten up over time.

Mona, you are wonderful to post your personal experience and photos for reference!

It's hard to tell from the first picture because of the angle she's at but the second picture is way better. I think from her slightly roached back, off bite, large head and legs that she is a dwarf.

Mona, could please post those pictures on the dwarf thread in the picture forum; that I have?

Thanks!

Mona, what an EXCELLENT series of pics!!! Thank you SO much for posting them. And yes, as Tremor suggested, please post them in the drarf thread on the pics page.

As for your little girl, I realize others have said "maybe" or "hard to say for sure" but I believe 100% that she is. But she is adorable!! Bless you for being concerned enough to ask. You are showing your commitment to these little ones and that you are serious about their needs and care. I wish you the best with her!!

Please give careful consiration if you decide to breed either the mare or stallion again. This little girl doesn't look to have some of the severe attributes of some, but the next one could and the foaling of an extreme dwarf is horribly traumatic on the mare and can even result in death of both the mare and foal.

I wish you the best. Hugs. And thank you for posting.

Her front foot that is on the ground looks like it is more upright than the first photo, which is good, hopefully her back joints follow. However, based on her density at such an early stage, I would have to say in MHO, yes, she does display dwarf characteristics, she is precious regardless. Remember,while it is not what someone breeds for, if her dam has no issues accepting her, neither should anyone else, short of medical issues, many dwarves have the ability to work their way into the hearts of their caretakers, faults and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres another hope this is better very hard to take a good shot
side-600x432.jpg

Tremor, please feel free to copy the photos and upload them to the gallery that you put yours, and then use the text that I have provided in this thread to go with them. I clean photos off my server from time to time so they won't remain indefinitley, which was a requirement for your thread.

Yes my gut first thing was that man never had one but she has to be a dwarf. Being a dog breeder I think we don't need to be overly educated in another type of animal sometimes I think its gut and just knowing a little about animals in general. I just dont want her to be suffering. What can I do to make sure she might get up on her feet? I live in an area where vets and ferriers do minimal so hoping I can find someone that can help out. but the more I know myself what to do the more I can hopefully get things going better for her. As for her mother I am not sure what babies she has had before. The person who has had her before doesn't really give me alot of information about her so not happy about that. I know people can be busy but when someone has paid money for something whether it be dog or horse I feel that they should at least be available to answer quick questions. Kind of wondering if that is why the mare just got sold because of problems. Why don't people tell others that this came up or one has to watch out for this and that? We have that with dogs too. Seems people are afraid to mention things as they won't be able to sell the animal or people won't breed to the animal. In saying that since I bought this mare for her pedigree is she just a pet now?? no chance of producing any other baby for me in the future? Love to know more thank you for all your help its much appricated.

And yes thank you Mona for sharing your photos I see alot of our baby in this one and first clue not just of the fillys feet (mine) was that chest. I just had that thought knowing minamul about horses that it wasn't really right in my eyes. thank you again for sharing

The side picture tells me that 100% she is a dwarf. Mona, those pictures are a wonderful education for people.

As for the owner before, that mare may have never had a dwarf foal before, and she may not ever again. She is a dwarf carrier though and obviously so is the stallion. In this case, it takes two to tango. I believe that a good portion of our Mini's carry the dwarf gene and even if both parents do, there is still only a 25% chance that the foal will be a dwarf. In the 14 years I have been breeding Mini's I have be fortunate not to have any, though my daughter did out of a mare who's sire was a very desirable stallion at that time. I believe that with the size of my herd, some of them must be dwarf carriers, but I have just been lucky in that way. So, what I am saying is, the last owner may just not have known. Still she should return your calls for sure.

I feel the need to comment on this.

I have a couple dwarves and have had many more; don't be ashamed of them. Don't treat them less or like a dog. My dwarves have always been the smartest within the herd and nothing hinders them.

Just treat them like a horse and LOVE them. Don't be ashamed that you have one!

You can find the shoes by searching Lil' Bits horse shoes.

@Mona, I will add them when I get off work tonight. Thank you do much!!

Can someone post Bill and Wannalyn's contact info? For some reason I'm having a mental lapse and can't find it!!!
default_wacko.png
They are the right ones to help answer the poster's questions. They have a wealth of information on the care of these little sweeties! And they can help with fitting the shoes also.

Last edited:
I have the link to MAGIC SHOES on my home page (click on my site link)

Reo to the rescue- since your avatar looks like a masked person in a cape I think that very apt! (Psst Robin you still have a "tovero" in your wording)

I think your cute little foal is definitely a dwarf, and as others have said, you need to talk to Janell (Magic Shoes) or Bill and Wannalyn (everything dwarf!)

Tremor is also right, your baby seems fine, let her enjoy life and maybe think of finding her a home where she is cherished for who she is- if you cannot keep her do not beat yourself up, deciding to keep a foal you do not "need" is a huge commitment- working as I do on a shoestring, I know I would not have the time or the money to do it, so again, living up to your responsibilities is nothing to be ashamed of either.

Mona, THANK YOU, that has to be one of the best series of photos I have seen, very informative, very generous of you to put them out there, too.

I feel the need to comment on this.

I have a couple dwarves and have had many more; don't be ashamed of them. Don't treat them less or like a dog. My dwarves have always been the smartest within the herd and nothing hinders them.

Just treat them like a horse and LOVE them. Don't be ashamed that you have one!

You can find the shoes by searching Lil' Bits horse shoes.

@Mona, I will add them when I get off work tonight. Thank you do much!!
Thank you on this I am for sure not ashamed but just only want the best for this little girl. They are in the genes of some pedigrees so why would someone be ashamed and not admit they have had them or what ever. for me she is my first and proud of this little girl I just pray she has a healthy long life ahead of her. i will check the shoes out. Any special Care Tremor? Any information you can give me would greatly be appricated thank you so much

Just tend to her physical needs and let her be a horse. One thing though, I would not splint those feet/legs just yet. Let her try to use them. It may help to strengthen them. Allow her some natural time first, as by putting splints on only discourages the natural use and further debilitates the tendon making it even looser.

Do not baby/pamper her any more than you would any of your other horses, and don't allow her to get into any bad habits by allowing her to invade your space! In other words, first and foremost, she is a HORSE! A horse with special physical needs, but she is a horse and needs to respect you as the herd boss, and not her.

Thanks to eveyone for your kind comments on my photos. I am glad they are helpful/useful to many.

Edited to reflect the removed reference.

Just wanted to pop in here and ask if the mare is registered? If so, someone could check her foaling history in the studbook and let you know what past foals she's had. I also wanted to say that while there are probably many stallions out there with that name, I'm a little leery about the woman simply telling you "Blank" is the sire, as there is a very well known stallion by that name. I'm not saying it's not possible he is the sire since we don't know the provenance of your mare, but I have never seen him associated with dwarfism before and doubt some of his past owners (including members of the forum) and current owners (which are a very well-respected show farm) would appreciate an unsubstantiated reference to that stallion in the context of dwarfism. While I agree with other forum members that dwarfism is something we need to be open about and that dwarfs deserve love and proper care the same as any other mini, I also think we have to be careful about where we point fingers since we all know how damaging such allegations can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back