HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
Welcome Chanda, Glad you could join us.Beautiful mare and I'm excited to see what you have. I am not good with colors so no help from this end. Sorry. Love your little guy tho. He will throw some interesting color with her. Keep us posted with updates and I like the idea of craweling around with a bush to take pics
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Hi Chanda
default_smile.png

will you have your mare on marestare?? she is gorgeous

I love your new little calf! just stunning what breed are they? they look to be limousin to me, but I don't know if you guys have limousin over there...

lovely little babies!

I just love cows! we have about 70 head on our property a mix of Murray Grey Black angus and limosuin.

I have a pure bred limousin cow, Kia hope you don't mind me posting some piccies of them to show you:) she is 4 years old now and has had two calves

Kia.jpg Kia <3

her first calf. a pure bred like herself a bull I named Samson. he is 1 1/2 years old now...a pic of him at one day old and then from a few months ago:)

Samson.jpg my dad n I are in love with this bull n will keep him as a future stud

here is now Samson2.jpg

And Kia blessed me with a gorgeous little heifer a few months ago... I called her Delilah though she is Lailah for short she is black angus x limousin which is very popular here in Australia.

Delilah2.jpg

sorry for hijacking your thread lol I just love the baby moos and couldn't resist hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
All our cows are Red AngusX, the bulls are straight Red Angus; I'm not sure what all is in the cross a little Hereford, a little Saler, a little Gelbviegh, and I don't know what else, as long as they are red beef breed. Oh, and I guess we do have one CharoisXRed Angus bull, Shayne bought him as a clean-up bull; he's big and he's almost white.

I never saw a "red" angus. But I was so confused by those beautiful heads thinking they looked so much like the ones I remember -- they are just beautiful!! I spent many a happy time cuddled in the legs of our cows eating lunch or playing with the calves and I think those heads are just so "pretty".

Beautiful cows!!!!
Red Angus come from Black Angus; just like our horses, Black is dominant and "hides" the recessive red. So somewhere along the line, red calves were cropping up and someone decided they needed there own registry. Red x red is always a red calf; red x black can give you either (but usually black since its dominant); and black x black sometimes gives red if both carry the recessive red gene. [i'm guessing before someone decided to start a new registry those red calves were sold as culls.

Here's a pasture pic from like 6 years ago:

Cows - Jan 3 2006.jpg

COOL!!! We had a big herd of blacks, and never saw a red. I had no idea there even WAS a recessive gene for red in the blacks! But it makes perfect sense in the "gene" world. I was thinking they crossed a black to a limosine or something and pulled the "color".

Well, lots of calf pictures are allowed!!!
Its quite possible there was something else in the mix that no one talked about, just like those less than stellar breeders of horses, but that's what I know about it.

Here's one of my bottle babies from a few years ago, her name was Kirby (I name them after vacuum cleaners, as they really suck up their replacer, so I have lots of repeat names over the years);

Kirby - April 19, 2007 - tongue.jpg

My father was one who made "sure" we understood what cows were for........eating!

So ours had names like....Rump Roast, Sirloin, T-Bone, etc. I always tell people that "we ate our pets" !! You should see the looks I get!
We tried to keep one bottle baby, and it didn't work out. She became dangerous, she didn't know she was a cow, so she didn't know herd dynamics, and then she became disrespectful of people and was dangerous. Another cow hurt her, so she ended up being sold. We try not to make pets of any of them, but we've had a couple tame cows over the years. When we got married Shayne had "Boss Hog", she was the tamest cow ever and loved a good back scratch, he kept her two or three years after she quit having calves, as she was great out with the heifers, helped to tame them (otherwise they'd just run for the hills when you'd try to check them). Our current tame cow is one of mine (I have 3), we just call her by her number, 411 (or sometimes $hithead, as she looks like someone pooped onher head, she has a partial bald-face with red splotched in the middle). She also likes a good back scratch, and often runs with the heifers for the same reason that the other one did.

My husband's uncle had an old cow that his grandkids called "Hamburger". Our butcher steers have had interesting names, mostly food names: Chocolate, Turkey, T-Bone or no name at all (just depends on the year).

Wow that is awesome ;) how many head do you have? I have raised quite a few calves now n they have all done very well. My girl Kia Is one of them actually
default_smile.png

How is baybe doing?

Wow that is awesome ;) how many head do you have? I have raised quite a few calves now n they have all done very well. My girl Kia Is one of them actually
default_smile.png

How is baybe doing?
We have over 100 head of cows plus enough bulls to cover them, which is too many when they get to fighting and take out fence like they did a couple weeks ago (they took out 50'+ of fence and a gate).

Baybe is doing well. I found a treat she likes, very, very much, so she is letting me pet her more as long as I have a treat. Can't get up close and personal, but I can see she is filling-in in front of her udder. Good appetite, and always wanting more; she has free choice mix hay, but keep check on her hard feed.

Oops, almost forgot... Did a booby check on 8 mares this evening, and cleaned with baby wipes. I managed to clean 6 out of 8 mares; one mare is very touch-me-not back there, so no go, and the other is Baybe. Two of the six are open (they weren't bred), and all had ickies in the middle to clean out.
default_smileypuke.gif
Man they get some gross stuff between their teats. One mare was really bad, but really enjoyed her baby wipe bath.

Such a good momma, you are!!
Why thank you; I try.
default_yes.gif

If you'd like to see the rest of my girls, they are all on my website. The two that open are Caddy and her daughter, Dolly. Tana, Bonny and Misty were exposed to Topper; Honey and Showy were exposed to Che`.

Talked with the stallion's owner and she said go ahead and post his info, so meet Baybe's husband for this foal...

Big Sky Hearts On Fire

Sire: Double BB Sultan of Swing

Dam: McSperitts Cutters Summer Love

I'm not sure, but I think he's around 30" tall.

Say hi to Pete:

pete headshot.jpg

pete1.jpg

No foal yet, but my 411 cow had a heifer calf tonight.
default_517.gif
Hubby just came in and said we've got color, evidently she has quite a bit of white on her; will know more in the morning with daylight. And, we'll see about a picture; depends on what pen she gets moved to, as to how easy it'll be to get a picture. Oh, and momma is being very protective tonight.
default_yes.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_488.gif
default_new_multi.gif

oh how very exciting!! can't wait to see your new little moo! I love it when we get colour on our cows!! =D can't wait to see some pics!

any progress bagging wise or anything with Baybe?

Baybe is so short compared to my other mares, that I can't really get a good look, but she is puffy in front of her udder. She's still being a little piggie with her food, and today she had some slightly loose poo. She still has a few days to go to hit day 300 from her first possible heat after foaling, and I hope she holds out til April, but she sure doesn't look like she can go that long (she looks big and miserable, but doesn't seem to act it).

If the wind isn't screaming thorugh here tomorrow, I'm going to try to comb out her mane, she probably won't let me spray detangler on it, but hopefully I can comb out hte bad knots.

well take care I hope the wind isn't bad for you all!!

I hope she holds out a bit longer for you aswell... the longer the better!

She was snoozing in the deep straw, so not a great picture, but here's my cow and her new heifer.

411 and calf 2012.jpg

I can't wait to get a better look at her, but didn't want to disturb them. I want to know how extensive her white is; Shayne said she has 4 white legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back