HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandab

Reaction score
Ok, so I don't have a camera, but I can start a thread for Baybe.

Baybe is a 9 year old, 32.5" proven broodmare. The string test says she's carrying a colt (her foaling history says she's due for a filly this year, she's swapped every year as to what she has). I'm not certain when she's due, as her previous owner pasture breeds, but... She had her 2011 foal on May 24, the stallion was turned out May 1, and from the looks of Baybe she took on her foal heat and is coming up on 300 days fast.

I took this picture yesterday.

Baybe - March 14, 2012.jpg

She's bred to a sorrel LWO+ stallion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another baby on the way. How exciting. Very pretty mare btw. And he has a lovely low looking bump (I am going to say filly) Keep us posted
default_smile.png

Yay! Hope you add a new # to the nail test thread. Looks like it has stalled out. Do you test her milk? You will not be bored on here I promise. Be warned that these women will be wanting pictures, pictures, and more pictures. So when do we get pictures of her hooha? You have reached the ob/gyn mania ward!

Unfortunately with this mare there will be few up close and personal pictures. I've only had her a few months and she is still rather stand-offish, I've been busy taming down my young stallion, so not spending near enough time with her. [Now that studly is coming around, I have more time to work with Baybe, and hopefully will be able to get some pictures.]

Thank you for the compliments on Baybe, I think she is just too cute; she is my smallest mare, the rest are 35-38" tall (I bought her for my 31" stallion that gets frustrated trying to reach the tall girls).

And, I do have 5 more mares exposed to stallions, but they aren't due til late May through late-June, so won't be starting threads for them til closer to their 300 day marks. [3 have specific breeding dates, 2 were pasture bred.]

Hi and Welcome! Baybe is a pretty mare and has a nice belly on her.

Welcome and pretty mare! <3

She does look pretty far along. So hopefully not too much of a wait.

Well, even though she is standoffish you can still keep us updated with her rolling, biting, yawning, butt rubbin, dripping milk, and so forth and we will be happy to shower you with endless predictions and opinions with free shipping. And our get one free get another free policy comes with a money back guarantee.

Seriously, I understand the situation you are in. She looks "very progressed" and since she is a proven broodmare hopefully she can do this! It would be nice if you get to be there to experience the miracle. Check out my "Faith" thread. I feel like just barely slid in under the radar to be there at the foaling.

Here's what she looked like back in October when I was looking at three different mares at the breeder's place (brought her home about two weeks later).

Baybe - Oct 5, 2011.jpg

And, here she was in January:

Baybe - Jan 3, 2012.jpg

Stallion isn't mine, so I don't know if I should post that information here; but he's a LWO+ sorrel and white stallion.

Our winter has been very mild for this part of Montana, all my minis have less hair than normal and most are shedding earlier/faster than normal. Its kind of a nice change.

Oh she is such a pretty girl - any chance of a picture of Daddy so we can start guessing colours etc of this coming baby?

Even if you cant get close up and personal, what about a crawl across the ground to get as close as you can for a possible peek underneath to report on her boobies. Apart from this I guess you will just have to keep up a running commentary on her movements, behaviour, odd quirks etc to allow us the fun of trying to predict her foaling date!

Oh and a picture of her future hubby - your boy - would be great too.
default_thumbup.gif

Sorry, forgot to say - welcome to the mad house!!

Any thoughts as to Baybe's color? She's registered as sorrel pinto, but is too dark to call sorrel; not sure if she'd be like liver chestnut (I know both are red-based). Her sire is listed as black, and her dam is listed as dun; and we know how bad paperwork can be for listing correct colors. I'm quite certain her colt last year was sorrel, but he did have a lot of white (white mane and tail and white legs), so I could be wrong; her 2010 filly looks dark like Baybe but with more white.

Ok, I found a pasture picture of the stallion Baybe is bred to for this year, not a great shot, as he's grazing, but you can see is color and markings.

Dot\'s Stallion.jpg

And, here's a picture of her future husband, that would be Che`, my silver buckskin 31" stallion:

Che` - July 22, 2010.jpg I think he's just so handsome, and cute (he's just so tiny compared to everyone else).

Oh she is such a pretty girl - any chance of a picture of Daddy so we can start guessing colours etc of this coming baby?

Even if you cant get close up and personal, what about a crawl across the ground to get as close as you can for a possible peek underneath to report on her boobies. Apart from this I guess you will just have to keep up a running commentary on her movements, behaviour, odd quirks etc to allow us the fun of trying to predict her foaling date!
default_new_rofl.gif
I can just see her now dressed in her camouflage hiding under a moving bush with her camera in hand ready to photograph Baybe's boobs
default_new_rofl.gif
and you wonder why we say you are weird
default_biggrin.png
default_new_rofl.gif

She's an adorable mare and wow, does she look very preggers to me. Can't wait to see baby pictures. Love the dad too. He's gorgeous.

She doesn't have any face white, so its probably tobiano causing her leg white rather than sabino, but I'm not sure.

She's registered as sorrel pinto, but I've wondered if she wasn't bay instead (or perhaps a shade of seal brown, also part of the agouti extension), but her mane/tail aren't as dark in person as they appear in pictures. I might just have to break down and color test her for red factor and agouti and see what she is.

Since she was registered as "Squires Montana Moonlight Baybe", I'm thinking her breeder called her color bay and the registeries changed it to sorrel, as her mane and tail aren't as noticeably darker than her body color as you find in a "normal" bay (and her legs are white, so you wouldn't see the black legs of typical bays).

Well, I think I would call Baybe a "bay" -- with that dark mane and tail, with something (Sabino?) giving her the white stockings instead of black legs?

I'm not very good with pinto coloring, and what makes what -- so I've probably made a mistake with the Sabino for her, but others here can help with pinto genetics and you can go to the link and plug in the information and get your answer!

Seriously, I understand the situation you are in. She looks "very progressed" and since she is a proven broodmare hopefully she can do this! It would be nice if you get to be there to experience the miracle. Check out my "Faith" thread. I feel like just barely slid in under the radar to be there at the foaling.
I think I may have finally found the ticket to winning over Baybe; and, I've tried a lot of things... Applezz N Oats treats http://www.horse.com/item/applezz-n-oats/SLT203910/ I took a couple out tonight and she went GaGa for them. I've tried a lot of other treats, and while she'll eat them, she's not thrilled with them, I think I may have finally found THEE treat to tempt her. [Will know more tomorrow and the next day, if she continues to eat them, then they are the right one.]

No news on Baybe, except her appetite... She wants her food and she wants it now.
default_eat.gif
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

Give her all she wants!! Hopefully she'll give you wonderful reward!!
They (she and the mare she shares a pen with) get free choice grass or mix hay (currently have access to a round bale) and she gets "grain" twice a day plus a mid-day soaked beet pulp meal with hay pellets and cubes mixed in. I can up her grain a little bit, but don't want to over do it; and I can see if she'll eat more of the soaked feed.

A wonderful reward would be awesome. I'll take anything that healthy.

Ok, so not a foal, but I thought you guys might enjoy baby pics of a different kind. I was going to take pics a few days ago, so I could get one of the first of the season, but I got side-tracked. So, here are a couple new babies...

calf - march 18, 2012.jpg

Pair - March 18, 2012.jpg

5 or 6 down, dozens to go...

She doesn't have any face white, so its probably tobiano causing her leg white rather than sabino, but I'm not sure.

She's registered as sorrel pinto, but I've wondered if she wasn't bay instead (or perhaps a shade of seal brown, also part of the agouti extension), but her mane/tail aren't as dark in person as they appear in pictures. I might just have to break down and color test her for red factor and agouti and see what she is.

Since she was registered as "Squires Montana Moonlight Baybe", I'm thinking her breeder called her color bay and the registeries changed it to sorrel, as her mane and tail aren't as noticeably darker than her body color as you find in a "normal" bay (and her legs are white, so you wouldn't see the black legs of typical bays).
I'd agree tobiano as well, she looks like a classic minimal marked tobi to me! I have two of them and love it :nod: I'd also lean towards bay rather then sorrel, even if her mane hair isn't as dark in person her coat itself just looks brown not chestnut IMHO.

Let's hope she throws you something with colour when combined with that nice overo from the sire!

I'd agree tobiano as well, she looks like a classic minimal marked tobi to me! I have two of them and love it :nod: I'd also lean towards bay rather then sorrel, even if her mane hair isn't as dark in person her coat itself just looks brown not chestnut IMHO.

Let's hope she throws you something with colour when combined with that nice overo from the sire!
As long as its healthy, I don't care what she has. It could be pink with purple polka dots, as long as its healthy, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back