Biblically Hostile

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
This is what has been going on in front of our noses. Just see what our is happening to our country. It is just so methodical that most people don't even notice. I have seen David Barton speak in person and he is an excellent historian. History, faith, and government history are all intertwined and to really understand the constitution you have to align yourself with real history. I was quite shocked to read this.

http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=106938

Tab - a lot of the "evidence" listed on that blog is either wrong, distorted/twisted or perhaps intentionally taken out of context... and when I read that this guy declares that allowing gays to serve in the military was wrong, it just made me sad. ANYONE who is brave enough and strong enough mentally and physically to fight for their country should be free to do so.

The writer is obviously suggesting that Obama is Muslim and will do anything to further Islamic causes above all else - and that is just so distorted and laden with obvious agendas that it taints any/all of his points. You note that he does not note things that have happened to further faith issues - that would not help his "cause" - nor does he compile a list of suspect "biblical hostility" of activities of other Presidents - and there will always be something that annoys someone in some way. Most Presidents will have had issues on both sides of that line in one way or another due to the seperation of church and state - but this guy is conveniently overlooking that and trying to insist that only Obama has had such issues to deal with. He chooses to look at things with blinders on and only seeks to push his aforementioned agenda (and darn the actual facts in many cases) ... while trying to instill some paranoia in his readers. Playing on people's emotions and faith like that is reprehensible... IMO.

JMHO. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a small sample of what I mean and how much of his "evidence" is distorted..

Barton says: “November 2011 – Unlike previous presidents, Obama studiously avoids any religious references in his Thanksgiving message.”

Barton is referring to the president’s Internet address about Thanksgiving. Considering that a public Internet didn’t exist until the 1990s, most previous presidents haven’t given such addresses. They have, however, issued proclamations — and so has President Obama. His Thanksgiving proclamation issued on November 16, 2011, explicitly mentions God and providence numerous times, including here:

“As we gather in our communities and in our homes, around the table or near the hearth, we give thanks to each other and to God for the many kindnesses and comforts that grace our lives.”

In addition, the president’s Internet address no less than four times notes the “blessings” for which Americans are grateful. One of the most common definitions of “blessing”: “a favor or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness.”

Barton also neglects to tell his readers that, as ABC News noted: “Three of the Republican presidential candidates – Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum – issued Thanksgiving statements that omitted any references to God. Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain and Rick Perry mentioned God in their statements.”

Barton says: “April 2009 – When speaking at Georgetown University, Obama orders that a monogram symbolizing Jesus’ name be covered when he is making his speech.”

A Georgetown University official at the time patiently explained to reporters what really happened:

“The White House wanted a simple backdrop of flags and pipe and drape for the speech, consistent with what they’ve done for other policy speeches…Frankly, the pipe and drape wasn’t high enough by itself to fully cover the IHS and cross above the GU seal and it seemed most respectful to have them covered so as not to be seen out of context.”

Barton says: “November 2011 – The Air Force Academy pays $80,000 to add a Stonehenge-like worship center for pagans, druids, witches and Wiccans.”

Air Force Academy officials were simply providing equal treatment to people who practice non-Christian religions. The Los Angeles Times talked to Chaplain Maj. Darren Duncan of the Academy:

“We’re here to accommodate all religions, period,” Duncan says. The building of the Cadet Chapel Falcon Circle on the hilltop, he says, is no different from the past conversion of chapel rooms into worship spaces that serve this year’s 11 Muslim, 16 Buddhist and 10 Hindu cadets. There are also 43 self-identified atheist cadets whose beliefs, or lack of them, Duncan says are also to be respected.

Barton says: “August 2010 – The Obama administration cuts funding for 176 abstinence education programs.”

Actually, federal funding continues for abstinence-only programs. But more to the point, why would refusing to spend tax dollars on a policy that doesn’t work somehow demonstrate “hostility toward Biblical values”?

Barton says: “September 2011 – The Pentagon directs that military chaplains may perform same-sex marriages at military facilities in violation of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.”

As reported by CNN, this is what the policy actually establishes:

“A military chaplain may participate in or officiate any private ceremony, whether on or off a military installation, provided that the ceremony is not prohibited by applicable state and local law,” a memo released Friday says. “Further a chaplain is not required to participate in or officiate a private ceremony if doing so would be in variance with the tenets of his or her religion.”

Barton says: “May 2009 – While Obama does not host any National Day of Prayer event at the White House, he does host White House Iftar dinners in honor of Ramadan.”

Barton is right that President Obama has hosted dinners celebrating the Muslim observance of Ramadan. What he neglects to say is that such events continue a tradition started by President George W. Bush, who held eight such dinners.

As previous presidents have done, President Obama has also commemorated the National Day of Prayer with proclamations and private prayer without official ceremonies. President George W. Bush did host such ceremonies, but there were only two other such events hosted by presidents previous to that administration: in 1989 and in 1982. In fact, the organizers of the National Day of Prayer themselves know this, as U.S. News and World Report noted back in 2009:

“National Day of Prayer Task Force Vice Chairman Brian Toon recently acknowledged that there weren’t regular White House events to mark the day until the Bush years, telling the Religion News Service: “There was no East Room event until George W.”

Today, however, the task force E-mailed me to say it had uncovered evidence for two White House events in pre-Bush administrations: a 1989 breakfast event in the State Dining Room hosted by George H. W. Bush and a 1982 Rose Garden event with Reagan. Not exactly evidence that annual National Day of Prayer events were a well-established tradition in the pre-Bush years, but the task force is clearly upset.”

President Obama continues to speak at the separate National Prayer Breakfast, however. From his remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 2 of this year:

“This is my third year coming to this prayer breakfast as President. As Jeff mentioned, before that, I came as senator…. But it’s always been an opportunity that I’ve cherished. And it’s a chance to step back for a moment, for us to come together as brothers and sisters and seek God’s face together. At a time when it’s easy to lose ourselves in the rush and clamor of our own lives, or get caught up in the noise and rancor that too often passes as politics today, these moments of prayer slow us down. They humble us. They remind us that no matter how much responsibility we have, how fancy our titles, how much power we think we hold, we are imperfect vessels. We can all benefit from turning to our Creator, listening to Him. Avoiding phony religiosity, listening to Him.”

Barton says: “August 2010 – Obama speaks with great praise of Islam and condescendingly of Christianity.”

Barton, who claims to be an expert “historian,” reveals a lot about himself with this claim. What does he list as his source? An essay by actor Chuck Norris on the right-wing website Townhall.com.
Chuck Norris is this "historian's" source ?!! ... see, facts do not matter. Glenn Beck has often said that facts are not that important to him - and it seems Barton is of the same opinion... and shame on him for playing on people's fears. Not terribly Christian or biblical of him... and I see Glenn "facts are not important" Beck is promoting Barton's paranoia - of course.

sigh.gif

There are far more factual things out there to be concerned about than this sad attempt to mislead and fearmonger...

Thank you tagalong-i fear for our country when we believe "historians" that so obviously distort information or only give a small piece of the information to make their case. That is not informing people and just plain sad. I could only read a portion of this-just awful.

It really saddens me that there are actually people that can not see the forest for the trees. This president has done so much to distroy the american way of life and there are those that couldn'r see it even when they step in it. This President says that $4-$5 a gallon gas won't hurt our economy. I don't agree. I can either put gas in my car to go to the store (can't do anything once I get there) or I can buy food. I know I am not in the minority here. Then he tells us we HAVE TO provide birth control no matter how we feel about it. We HAVE TO perform an abortion no matter how we personally feel about it. He is very slowly taking away our rights and there are those that can not see it. This saddens me.

Gas prices went up when Bush was in office as well - and then down again and up again. It was no more his fault then than it is Obama's now. The oil cartels determine the price per barrel of oil - not the President. And even if we started all sorts of drilling right now, it would have no discernible effect on the price of gas for many years - but talking heads prefer to overlook that, hope you cannot realize that and assign blame instead.

Any GOP candidate who is assuring you that gas when he is President will always be $2.00 a gallon is blowing smoke in your eyes and up your skirt. It may go down but it will rise again and a Republican president could not do much about it either...
default_no.gif

Thanks for posting, Tab. Right now there's much to worry about when it comes to our Nation.

Thanks for posting, Tab. Right now there's much to worry about when it comes to our Nation.
Totally agree. Seems I even worry while asleep...last night "this president" was the main character in one of my nightmares. I am serious.

Right now there's much to worry about when it comes to our Nation.
Maybe so - but Barton's lame attempts to create drama, fear & uncertainty based on distortion and inaccuracies are not one of the things to worry about. It is all just a big PR game for him... and the more people that buy into it without bothering to consider what is true and what is not - and just accept absurd claims at face value without bothering to check them out... the more he wins and gets his name out there. And THAT is his only goal. He trusts that the very people he is playing to will not bother to backcheck anything or raise even the simplest of questions.

We need to have facts (and I mean from ALL sides) - not paranoia and fearmongering. And yet, the latter seems to have far more effect. That should be something to worry about... that facts are pushed aside in favour of rhetoric...
default_no.gif

I watched the President speak last week, and he was very upset that gas prices have risen, I didn' hear him say it doesn't matter! I'm not going to debate the abortion or contraceptive issue, but where did you get your info on that. I did hear what Rush Limbaugh had to say about the GW student that was crazy as he didn't even get the facts right!

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh or any other political commentator. I have watched Obummer say things himself. What he has said is that the high gas prices will not adversely effect the economy. I would like to give him a lesson. Gas goes up, transport goes up, prices in the store goes up. Wages do not go up. How does that NOT adversely effect the economy? Also, just because it won't help tomorrow, is that a reason to NOT DRILL for the next day. If you do nothing now you will NEVER slow down gas prices. In our state where unemployment is the highest in the nation, gas prices make people chose between eating and looking for work. Then Obummer turns around and wants to tell them they have to buy into HIS health care plan and if they don't, he will fine them. Now these are the same people that have to choose between putting gas in the family car to look for work or putting food on the table for their children. I am not even going to get into the religious part or what this president has done to this country. Oh, and what about the fact that he ticks off our allies and apologies to our enemies? IMHO anyone that votes for this president deserves the universal health care and they need to be old and need the health care that will be determined by a board if you are valuable enough to receive the care.

Most Presidents have ticked off other countries at times and also apologized/made restitution at times - but I guess it only matters if Obama does it. Of course.

The right and left both do a lot of the same things - and I get weary of the hypocrisy both sides show when discussing the other side. If there were more than two "sides" the entire country would be a lot better off. More than a lot better - it would be a refreshing change that would be good for the country and all of us.

The whole idea that we need to drill now to bring down gas prices soon is just smoke and mirrors - we could drill in Alaska for years and do very little to effect a change in gas prices. But Mitt Romney will stand there and say gas will only cost $2 a gallon when he is President and he will see to that - which is a joke amd mere political posturing. Gas may be $2 if he becomes President - and it may rise to $6 a gallon. And then who will he blame? It rose and fell when W was in office. It has risen and fallen with Obama in office. It will do the same for whoever the next President is - and smug, shallow promises will not change that. Drilling/tar sands/pipelines are a long slow process - they always have been and always will be. There will be no instant change. No matter what candidates promise. Nor can any President singlehandedly maintain a steady gas price - too many external factors come into play for that to ever be very successful.

Anyone here on Medicaid or Medicare? Welcome to universal health care - it has already been going on in different forms for a long time but just not under that label.... and the so-called Death Panels already exist via insurance companies - but talking heads and politicians would prefer that you not realize that. Of course not. But we have done the healthcare debate here before and there is no need to go through all that again.

ETA: You know, I may not have approved of George W. Bush and a lot of the things he did 100% of the time - but I never called him names or sneered at him or wished him ill or invented conspiracies about him or believed all the outlandish BS that went around in emails etc. I have always preferred facts to rhetoric and smokescreens - no matter who was in office.

Thats right Medicare/Medcaid have been denying seniors life saving meds, now everyone can get on board and join them with Obamacare...Anyone have any comments regarding Obamas Secretary of Energy Chu? His exact words were that he hopes gas goes up to $8/gallon. This is who Obama appointed.

Regarding Secretary of Energy, hopefully "bye-bye" to you and all the czars of this and that. Would like to see some "departments of" abolished. Hope we can get the Keystone Pipeline.
default_pray.gif

And Obama should not be blamed because he is black. This is not a black or white issue. It is about a man that is H3ll bent on distroying the AMERICAN way of life. He has done a really good job doing that.

Tagalong, you really get that perscription for rose colored glasses checked. And this "poor Obama" attitude is really getting old. He is not being picked on for the color of his skin. He is being picked on for the deeds he has done.

Agreed! Let men be known by their deeds!

Am I missing something, katiean, because I am not finding anything about where tagalong has said people are against Obama because of the color of his skin or that this is a black and white issue? Interesting.

Tag-i wish there were more people like you. I get SO tired of the gullible. I am not a big Obama fan, but the stories and accusations against him are absolutely ridiculous 9 times out of 10. Where do people even come up with this stuff and when did people start believing everything they hear instead if actually researching from UNBIASED sources. Our country is just plain sad.

I do not understand why some people are SO sensitive when it comes to "THIS" president. He has failed us. Thats a fact. As have other presidents in history. We have all see the pictures in the cartoons of this president and there are those that get really ticked off. But on the other hand they will laugh at a political cartoon of another president. Hey, lets put this into perspective. A cartoon is just that, a cartoon. Look at it, laugh and move on. But this is just not the case of people that really like Obama. Hey, I really liked Bush. But if you want to put him in a "little bo peep" dress or what ever. I would laugh. But those in the cult of Obama have no sense of humor when it comes to this man.

It is agreed that if we start drilling now gas will not go down tomorrow. However, in a few years we will be importing less and less foreign oil. So what I am saying is that doing nothing is not an option. That is what people that are for the oil drilling are saying. However, this president wants to do nothing because it will not help before the elections.

Latest posts

Back