Timber in the tornado yesterday-Southeast TN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
So we had a super scary day again with tornadoes. It came in so fast! We have a lean-to for the big horses and one for Timber. At the last moment, they all decided to run out of their barns and stand in the hail and rain and wind. I don't understand this unless it was because Timber is a baby and they wanted to be with him to protect them. They are in separate pastures, but they adjoin. All three stood right at the fence with each other. When it was all over and everyone calmed down, Timber thought the hail was fun to play in. It was about dime to golf ball size and 2 inches deep in places.

2012-03-02_17-17-45_906.jpg

2012-03-02_17-16-08_872.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg

It's very typical behavior for horses to run out of their shelters to be out in the storm, especially if it is hailing. I think a big part of it is they do not like the sound of the hail on the roof and suspect part of it may be a natural instinct to be out in the open where they cannot be "trapped" inside when there is a scary storm overhead. If there is an area of bush in the paddock horses are more likely to shelter in there than they are to go into a loose housing shed.

Yes it was scary. I was so glad it hit after work when I was here with him and my other horses. Bless their hearts.

I bet those hailstones sting when they hit you but he looks none the worse ! :)

Glad everyone made out ok with the tornado! What a scary experiance!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Glad all are safe. I have a funny story, everytime it hailed or rained those awful monsoon rains, our horses also ran out of their 40 X 16 breezeway that was attached to the side of our barn. But our first mustang was a weanling and if he happened to be out and about, he ran INTO the breezeway an the QH ran out. Same thing happene here with our other mustang. We just assumed the mustangs had more smarts and knew a good thing lol.

Horses seem to have a sixth sence about these things, we had a hopping tornado come through here a couple of years ago, and I had four mares in a dry lot paddock with a run in that would hold 10, all four of them stood out in it, good thing as the tornado picked up the run in shed and threw it about twenty feet into the big barn. Jumped over the big barn and hit our woods taking out about four large trees and several fences, not to mention three windows in my house, water everywhere, and debris hit the roof of the runin shed were one of stallions was, and he was not injured as he was standing outside waiting for us to come get him out of the rain and hail. I have to give the horses credit, they know how to try and keep themselves safe. Looks like your guy came through OK, thank your lucky stars.

Thanks everyone for that sweet thoughts and comments. Every day I thank my lucky stars that we didn't get hit worse. Several people at work lost everything....My thoughts and prayers go out to them as they piece their lives back together. For us, it is life as usual thank goodness :-0)

Latest posts

Back