Trimming your own horses' feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned by watching farriers and from Barefoot Trimming books.

I do have a Barefoot farrier who takes care of my chronic founder girl and I get ongoing tips from her.

Really for a simple trim on a healthy little hoof and if you have a bit of a brain it's not difficult.

HOWEVER I wouldn't even dream of trying to trim the old Arab mare.

The reason I do is because it is so hard to find someone to trim minis hooves that don't assume all minis are crazy. I get so tired of hearing that. Not to mention, they don't want to bend down that far or get on their knees. They want to charge full price for a half done job. I had to do it to make sure it is right as well. Minis are totally different in certain ways from big horses. I learned from my best friend who learned from one of the top large horse farriers in the area. It is actually cool to do and I love being able to do this for him.

I took a farrier class as part of my Equine Science diploma - we learned a bunch of theory and practiced (and were graded!) on cadaver feet. I've watched our excellent farrier trim for many, many years. I can see the angles, and I know what the foot should look like. Theoretically, I know what I'm doing. Every so often I give it a try on one of our old boys, and I always end up getting Grandad or Hans to finish it for me. I am just not good enough to trust myself with something so crucial to their well-being.

I should practice, I know. Chicken I guess.

I learned from my cousin that worked at a big QH farm in CA. I trimmed my big horses when I had them. So, when I got the minis it was just a given. I did then have a farrier from time to time. But, I never found anyone that did their feet right. However, my minis have harder feet than any BIG HORSE and I can no longer trim them. I found a super farrier that lives near where my horses are boarded so he gives me an excellent rate.

Latest posts

Back