stallions frozen semen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
as i live in australia and i think you ladys have some stunning horse,s..has anyone ever shipped frozen semen

what are the results of frozen semen with mini,s any imfo on it would be great...oh any photos of stallions

that have shipped there semen and the out come would be great. to

thanks jenny...

I understood that frozen semen is only allowed with AMHR and not AMHA. Is this right?

I guess that means if you use frozen semen from an AMHA stallion impregnate an AMHA mare the resulting foal cannot be registered

AMHA does allow cooled or frozen semen registrations. However, it is VERY expensive on both ends to utilize shipped semen without very good results and your best bet would be to buy a foal by a particular stallion or import a mare bred to the stallion of your choice.

default_saludando.gif

Several farms in Australia have asked me to ship Nort's semen there but it's just too costly and difficult for us to get it done. Wish I could!

Cooled equine semen has a pretty good viability, but a very limited "shelf life I remember exactly what a hassle it was getting the timing right with an Arab mare, and that was just importing form Europe, which is a mere skip and a jump away.

Although frozen semen obviously lasts longer they viability of frozen equine semen is still not good.

And then there is the cost........

Let's just say that, even with it only being cooled, that was one expensive Arab foal and I am only too glad it was not mine!

I honestly think buying a mare in foal to the stallion of your choice and importing the mare would be the way to go.

And you would get two for the price, virtually, of one.

From what I understand, mini semen does not hold up well when frozen so like others have said it would be best to buy a foal by that stallion or a mare in foal. I would opt for a live offspring of the stallion, that way you can pick the sex and color and looks, height, etc. If it did ship well, you can bet the big farms would be in that business in a huge way but you don't see any of them advertising to do it. Trust me, if there was money to be made, they would be doing it.

As far as I know, there was only one live mini birth from shipped frozen semen, and that was here in the US from a US stallion to a US mare. I think there was better luck with cooled, and embryo transfer worked but is only feasible for the wealthiest of us.

We did shipped frozen semen with an arab and had a gorgeous filly born. It was funny, the semen was Judy's birthday gift from her husband and it had to be delivered to where she was working. Nobody would touch the container when it arrived even though she assured them that the liquid gold was inside and frozen! Her fellow employees were really grossed out!

There is a thread on the "best of" forum that talks about the costs and pros and cons of this very subject.

We've had quite a few requests for shipped semen from S Skipper or Cowboy and we have looked into it a couple of times. It's VERY pricey. When the most recent request came from out of country we decided to really do some shopping around and see how the various facilities compared from a pricing aspect.

We found the pricing about the same no matter where we checked. It would cost us $8,000 to $10,000 for one collection approved to go out of country. Now that would be a number of straws which could be sold, but the money spent by the stallion owner would go up depending on how long the semen was needing to be stored.

Probably the biggest issue for us is that the collection must be made after the stallion has been at the facility and in quarantine for a period of 40some days. Star Skipper is just too valuable to us to risk having him off farm and out of our care for that length of time.

For the kind of investment a person would have to make to get the genetics they want from shipped semen I would think buying a colt from their faovrite stallion would be by far the better way to go. I know importation can be very expensive for buyers, but I suspect it would be less then getting one straw of semen and way more of a guarantee of having a live stallion from the transaction.

There are some beautiful miniature horses in your own country I'm sure you could look into.

I would also suggest buying a foal from your favorite stallion, that way you can pick the color/size/gender and get what you want, a lot faster! Otherwise you risk going through tremendous cost and effort just to have the mare not take, abort, etc....

We've had quite a few requests for shipped semen from S Skipper or Cowboy and we have looked into it a couple of times. It's VERY pricey. When the most recent request came from out of country we decided to really do some shopping around and see how the various facilities compared from a pricing aspect.

We found the pricing about the same no matter where we checked. It would cost us $8,000 to $10,000 for one collection approved to go out of country. Now that would be a number of straws which could be sold, but the money spent by the stallion owner would go up depending on how long the semen was needing to be stored.

Probably the biggest issue for us is that the collection must be made after the stallion has been at the facility and in quarantine for a period of 40some days. Star Skipper is just too valuable to us to risk having him off farm and out of our care for that length of time.

For the kind of investment a person would have to make to get the genetics they want from shipped semen I would think buying a colt from their faovrite stallion would be by far the better way to go. I know importation can be very expensive for buyers, but I suspect it would be less then getting one straw of semen and way more of a guarantee of having a live stallion from the transaction.
WOW!!!!! We charged that much for a MONTH of 3x week freezing, for export.... you need to look elsewhere for other facilities
default_smile.png

Per freeze charges were about $550, plus tests (could be another 100 or so). Plus initial tests, plus board (have to be in quarantine for most countries), etc.

I REALLY want to play with freezing minis, and find a method to work. As far as industry average, its about 70% fertility rate, compared to 80% cooled, 90% fresh, and 95% pasture.

Length of quarantine depends on the country you are shipping to... I don't recall it being as long as 40 days! But I could be wrong
default_smile.png
Its been a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into it a couple of years ago , I dont know about all countrys but in Ireland the "seller" has to have a european import/export license , if not the sample would be destroyed by customs

Length of quarantine depends on the country you are shipping to... I don't recall it being as long as 40 days! But I could be wrong
default_smile.png
Its been a while.
Oz has some of the most stringent and difficult quarantine regimes in the world. The cost isn't getting the stallion frozen. The cost is in getting the stallion frozen in such a way that meets the requirements of whatever country you're shipping the stuff too. Oz is notoriously difficult.

When I was doing export semen, the tests were still not the big expense... per collection, the fees for tests didn't top $200, only bringing the per collection fee to around 700 (still high!). A month of collection ranged between 10 and 15k.

(Where is Oz?)

Hello Miss Charlotte!!

Another consideration/complication of shipped semen is the HUGE VARIABLE of the recipient having a qualified/experienced vet for insemination. Arghhh! My friend used to ship semen from her two Friesian stallions, who required training to accept the phantom mare. Fortunately, they were youngsters when she began her program.

Latest posts

Back