Spiral ham dinner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shorthorsemom please share the mac and cheese recipe when you get a chance, Jill already shared one in another thread but I need two, thats how terrible I am at mac and cheeae, thanks in advance.
I make a white sause. I melt 3 T of butter, and stir in 3 T flour, 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of dry mustard powder. When bubbly (it gets that way quick) I slowly stir in 3 cups of milk. Stir until milk is steaming and then add about 3 cups of cheese. I vary my cheese depending on what I have. Most often I use the mexican blended shredded cheese, but sometimes I make my own blend of sharp cheddar, mild cheddar and monerey jack. When cheese is melted remove from heat. Do not take your eyes off this mixture and stir constantly or it will boil over like lava over your stove...
default_sad.png

I boil my noodles, drain but do not rinse. I use any type of noodle.. bows, elbows, wheels, any type. I don't boil the noodles until they are gushy, just until they start to cook... I boil about 3 cups of pasta. Put noodles in casserole, add cheese mixture and stir. You can add more milk at this point of you need to, make sure the cheese sause completely covers the noodles. Bake at 375 covered with foil until bubbly. On the stove I separately make my topping. Melt 3-4 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan and break up chunks of any type of bread into the butter. About three slices should do it.. stir bread and butter over heat until the butter coats all the bread crumbs. Take foil off of the mac and cheese. Add some more shredded cheese on top of casserole and the bread crumbs and continue to bake without the foil on top until the bread crumbs are toasty and the cheese is melted.

Not your low fat mac and cheese, but it is delicious. I get requests to bring it to holiday suppers. The secret is in the home made breadcrumb topping.. Tastes like grilled cheese on top.
default_aktion033.gif

Pardon me in advance... I am estimating some of the measurements, I just wing it a bit on this one, have been making this for 40 years give or take... But you can adjust... more cheese if you need it, , more milk is ok... you can adjust... the secret ingredients are the dry mustard and the bread crumb topping and the extra sprinkle of cheese over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Diane!!! I bought a second spiral ham after the Holidays and froze it in portions. I will be fixing your recipe for sure
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back