Spiral ham dinner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
What do you all serve with your ham dinner for Christmas..other than scallop potatoes or potatoe salad? What about desserts?

We don't have it, but the green bean casserole you see advertised during the holidays. Crescent rolls. Apple pie or apple crisp, something about pork and apples. Yum!

I like homemade applesauce with ham. Asparagus would be a nice side dish too. For a desert, you could buy a Christmas cake from Sam's Club. Their cakes are good and they make some really pretty, festive ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
A baked bean side dish would be wonderful with ham! Here's a good one (not exactly low calorie, but yummy)!

6 slices bacon

1 cup chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 can pinto beans

1 can great white beans

1 can baked beans

1 can red kidney beans

1can garbanzo beans

3/4 cup ketchup

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings, crumble and set aside in a large bowl. Cook the onion and garlic in the reserved drippings until onion is tender; drain excess grease and transfer to the bowl with the bacon. Add pinto beans, northern beans, baked beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans to the bacon and onions. Stir in ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and black pepper. Mix well and transfer to a 9x12 inch casserole dish. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.

Yum!!!

How about green beans, mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole? I could go for that right now
default_eat.gif

Dessert, maybe éclair cake: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/eclair-cake/detail.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! I knew I should not have looked at this at 8 in the morning! Now my tummy is growling!!! Some type of cheesy potatos! Stoffers makes one that only comes out around this time and it was wonderful! I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but gosh it was good! I remember it was a red box saying holiday edition! LOL! Good stuff, super easy!!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the suggestions so far...keep them coming please. I want to do something alittle different (but easy) this year.....I am sick of the traditional stuff... (scallop potatoes, green bean casserole, etc)...I like the asparagus idea, (hope I can find fresh) and the bean recipe sounds great but alittle more time than what I want to invest (I have to work Christmas day til 3). We dont like yams. Fried apples recipe..I just might do..eclaire cake sounds good too and the cheesecake. I suck at homemade mac n cheese..anyone have a crockpot recipe for that? Those potatoes sound good Leia and I like the fact they are easy. Any other ideas that arent the traditional?

One of my sisters makes asparagus with a little parmesan cheese on top.....very, very yummy!

My mom makes the BEST slow-cooker cheese and vegetable dish:

2 frozen bags veggies (carrot, broccoli and cauliflower mix is what she uses)

1 package cream cheese

1 small jar Cheez-Whiz or cheese spread

1 can of Cream of ________ soup

Throw it all in the slow-cooker and let it cook for a few hours. About an hour before serving, she puts in a large chunk (that's the exact amount) of Velveeta cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

I eat it as much as she'll make it...

The other one that is really good is this SUPER easy corn and macaroni dish:

2 (16 oz.) cans of corn including liquid

1/3 c. water

1 c. uncooked macaroni

1 stick melted butter

1 c. Velveeta cheese, cubed or American

2 tsp. chopped onion

Throw it all together and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. We made this in our tack stall at the AMHR Nationals in our slow-cooker too (took about 3 hours).

Thanks Adam, both of those sound yummy. I think the second one is going on the menu for Christmas....the macaronni does not need to be cooked and can go right in the crockpot?

Thanks Adam, both of those sound yummy. I think the second one is going on the menu for Christmas....the macaronni does not need to be cooked and can go right in the crockpot?
Yep, dump it in. No "cooking" involved.

Home made macaroni and cheese... I put a buttered bread crumb topping on top and toast it a bit.. let me know if you want a recipe. I also do the green bean casserole but double the crunchy onions. I get the big can, put half in the beans to bake and half on the top and bake the last 10 minutes yum.

Dessert.. I make an easy fancy tasting coffee cake,,, I can write out recipe for that too if you want it.

Shorthorsemom please share the mac and cheese recipe when you get a chance, Jill already shared one in another thread but I need two, thats how terrible I am at mac and cheeae, thanks in advance.

Here's a recipe my mother used to make(not sure where she got it?)...but it is GREAT w/ ham, and IMO, an excellent 'substitute' for potato side dishes! Its 'roots' are both Southern and Southwestern(sort of like my own!!)

"GRITS"

1 C. instant grits, cooked

1 C. extra sharp cheese, grated

1/2 stick margarine

@ 1 t. Tabasco

2 well-beaten eggs

1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles

salt and pepper to taste

Combine and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for one hour.

Above recipe exactly as written by my mom. I always make this as a 'one-pot' dish by using a large, deep(2 1/2 qt.) Corningware cassarole that I've had for 45 years! Cook the grits in it to begin with(if you've never cooked grits, be aware that they must be watched, stirred constantly, not overcooked. I use Quaker "Quick Grits"...then add and mix in each add'n. ingredient, pop it in the oven. Easily enough for 8-10;leftovers reheat beautifully, almost tastes 'even better' as such!

Margo, in cold, SNOWY southern Santa Fe County, NM

I tried a new receipe last night and loved it, of course I like brussle sprouts.

Pan Roasted Burussel Sprouts with Bacon

Crisp up 3 slicess of thick bacon in a large frying pan. Reduce heat on skillet to just below Medium and into the bacon dripping add 2 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 medium chopped onion and cook until just golden brown. Add 1 pound of brussel sprouts (cut in half if needed to make consistent sizes. Stir ocassionally to keep from burning. Let cook about 20 minutes or until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. I also like a little acidity with my green veggies so I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice just as I was serving.

Did not have any left. I served with Cornish Hens and a salad for dinner last night.

Candied yams, Baked yams, Peas and pearl onions in cream sauce, Fruit Salad....Thats all I can think of for now.Oh and for derert, pumpkin pie, Apple pie...

Shorthorsemom Please share the coffee cake recipe. I am all for anything easy.
Coffee Cake recipe.... Struesel- Mix together 3/4 cups flour with 3/4 cup of brown sugar (packed brown sugar volume) and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon...in a bowl. Melt in microwave 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine. pour on struesel mixture and mix with a fork. The flour and sugar mixture will make little balls, that is ok. set aside.

Mix 1 box of yellow cake mix with 1 pack of vanilla instant pudding. Add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 1 1/3 cups of water and two large eggs. Beat 2 minutes with mixer. Spread half of the cake mix in a 13x9x2 inch pan that is sprayed lightly with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle 2/3 of the struesel mixture over the cake mix. Add the rest of the cake mix on top and then sprinkle the remaining struesel mixture over the top. Bake at 375. Can take as little as 25 minutes and as long as 45 minutes to bake so check early. I test for springback of the cake. It will be lightly browned.

Cool the cake. For the finish of the cake... I also take 3/4 cup of confectioners sugar and aprox.1 tablespoon of milk and stir together for a white icing that I drizzle all over the top of the cooled cake.

People come back for seconds and thirds and I have never brought any back home that I have taken to parties, this cake is moist and terrific and a hit where ever I take it.
default_yes.gif
Best wishes
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back