Halter color class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question, when I'll show my boy later (in summer) shall I show him as solid or in color class ?

IMG_7505-1.jpg
DSC00021-1.jpg

To me he is a solid even with that large blaze. He has no body white or white above the knees. Now if he has a belly splash or color on the other side that would be different.

I have a dapple grey gelding that has the tinniest white hourglass on the rigt side of his tail. I show him solid color--some judges mark him down for the hourglass, others do not. He is registered solid.

I also have a chestnut pinto gelding who got the fading grey gene from his sire and is almost totally white, I have had to show him color to get him qualifed. You can barely see mulit color in his tail and if he is squeaky clean and he is clipped right you can see the skin color change--needless to say we don't show him color unless we just have too--he is definitely not going to place.

To me he is a solid even with that large blaze. He has no body white or white above the knees. Now if he has a belly splash or color on the other side that would be different.
He has a belly splash but its a tiny one, but then I have no clue how he'll look in summer coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Multi color is simply for a VISIBLE pinto or appy. Something genetically either would not go in Multi a horse with socks and a blaze goes in solid they must have a visible appy or pinto pattern

I have a question, when I'll show my boy later (in summer) shall I show him as solid or in color class ?

IMG_7505-1.jpg
DSC00021-1.jpg
I must say he is one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen! He should show in solid color, but since he looks a little washed out when clipped, I would clip him at least three weeks before the show, then only clip his face and pastern the nights before. With a bald face only use a #10 and powder the top of the muzzel instead of oil. I used to have a bald face mare that won everytime she went into the ring. You don't want to show alot of pink skin.

For AMHR - the class is supposed to be judged 100% on color. In AMHA, I believe it is 75% color, 25% conformation. In Multi-Color you will find some judges that love apps and some very much dislike them. Some like black and white, others not. In Solid Color - a nice buckskin or silver dapple, or silver bay can do well. It really is a very subjective class, but generally intense colors are what the judges are looking for.

This horse was Res National Champ in the Over Division this year (behind a very handsome black frame overo) - he was the only buckskin pinto in the class of primarily black and whites, so he stood out:

WR1-Wrecker4.jpg

And this horse was Res. National Ch in the under division behind a grullo pinto weanling, this horse went on to win the class at AMHA Worlds:

WR1-Monet2.jpg
Just had to say your horses are very pretty.

I don't think you can count any color out. Someone mentioned dapples are the worst to show, I totally disagree, I've seen some very nice dapples that win at Nationals, and I personally like real nice looking dappeled horses. Personally I would say sorrels are the worst to show in color but I've seen some place at Nationals in that. So you cannot rule any color out.

There was one filly I had I thought was a shoe in to place in color at Nationals. We totally got the gate, the judges picked another appy filly that was just a dull looking app to me compared to what I had, she was colored alot like the appy foal someoned posted on here. I had several come up to me that said I got robbed. Then of course the next day they picked an app stallion that looked just like her and got National Champion.

So even judges don't know what they want lol. Thats why I just don't bother going in it.

Thanks for the compliment!

I've had a silver dapple that's done very well. It really is a matter of the judge's opinion.

Latest posts

Back