de-agos own thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
i pick up poo in every day but little de-ago has been eating mums poo
default_no.gif

why is he doing that any ideas

It is totally normal, they do it to build up "good" bacteria in their tummies, he will stop on his own.

Yes, as the others have said, perfectly normal and part of foal proceedure. BUT totally disgusting when they then insist on giving you kisses with lips and whiskers all covered with Momma's poo!
default_biggrin.png

default_saludando.gif
well little de-ago is 3 weeks old today hasnt that gone fast

de-ago has the nices nature has never trys to bite he is a very soft and gentle horse

he will make a nice stallion

will take some photos tommorow

default_saludando.gif
well little de-ago is 3 weeks old today hasnt that gone fast

de-ago has the nices nature has never trys to bite he is a very soft and gentle horse

he will make a nice stallion

will take some photos tommorow

I think my boys will want to come live with you... I'm still threatening to chop their nuts off
default_new_rofl.gif

But then my rules for colts are so SO strict.

I and others will assess them at 3 months, 6 months (under winter fluff
default_wacko.png
) and clipping as yearlings. If we think they are good enough they go into the ring. If they don't place well they get cut. I think very few colts will make it off this property
default_new_rofl.gif

At the moment I'm leaning towards gelding Sterling because his nature is amazing and I think he'll make a great kids horse. Storm, well he is waiting for his 3 month assesment with my fingers crossed!

They say that at three months old you can 'see' the finished adult horse!!

And I have to say that in the main this seems to be true, so many times I have seen something 'hopeful' in my foals, only to groan as they passed into weanling/yearling and even 2 year old odd looking ducklings. LOL!! But suddenly as the Spring/Summer comes around in their third year, they blossom and by the time they are 4 I am looking at the adult version of exactly what I saw in the same 3 month old baby.
default_yes.gif

I love the ugly duckling to swan transformation!
default_wub.png

They say that at three months old you can 'see' the finished adult horse!!
3 days, 3 months, 3 years is what I've been taught.

I'm also paranoid about being stable blind and will gather opinions from my mentor (experienced mini breeder) and often from some other breeder friends.

On top of that I'll only breed from somthing show proven and older then 3. There are so many nice stallions around that I only want to breed somthing that makes the grade.

I'm happy to sell a colt that I think might be worth it as a colt, but he'll leave at a colt sale price with full rego. Way too many colts out there that shouldn't have their boy bits still there.

AWW!! Those pictures are really lovely Jenny, but the second one is just stunning - think it should be framed and put up on a wall.
default_yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
thanks guys ...you can tell the difference between de-ago and beau ...de-ago is horse and beau is pony

3 days, 3 months, 3 years is what I've been taught.

I'm also paranoid about being stable blind and will gather opinions from my mentor (experienced mini breeder) and often from some other breeder friends.

On top of that I'll only breed from somthing show proven and older then 3. There are so many nice stallions around that I only want to breed somthing that makes the grade.

I'm happy to sell a colt that I think might be worth it as a colt, but he'll leave at a colt sale price with full rego. Way too many colts out there that shouldn't have their boy bits still there.
I totally agree Bree, there are way to many colts and stallions that should have been cut, I'm thinking I will geld finn, even though he is a very nice pony type (my friend who is big into mini ponies and shetlands said he should do well in the ring) because of his back leg being back a bit on his pastern, (he stands up straight after being trimmed) he could put that through to his babies, so if he survives this trial I might think about him as a show gelding...

I didn't know about the 3 rule LOL makes sense
default_smile.png
can't wait to see how they all look at 3 months!
default_biggrin.png
will have to get some really good piccies then!

default_saludando.gif
thanks guys ...you can tell the difference between de-ago and beau ...de-ago is horse and beau is pony
yeah you can tell the difference between the two, I Love the pony look! and I love the horse look! so glad I have some of each!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
de-ago keeps eating gum leafs and ive seen him just about choke on them and iam worried

hes gonna get colic to....

lucky lodge said:
1322561274[/url]' post='1429619']
default_saludando.gif
de-ago keeps eating gum leafs and ive seen him just about choke on them and iam worried

hes gonna get colic to....
I doubt he will get colic from eating gum leaves Jenny... Finn did that when he was de agos age... But he stoppeda while back. He didn't get colic from eating gum leaves! We think it was a combination of really wet lush grass making Susie's milk more concentrated n him eating the grass as well... Being locked up for a few days with the horrible weather n mudIf your concerned ring your vet! But I'm sure you have nothing to worry about
yes.gif

Jenny as long as there is nothing poisonous around that he can get hold of (google poisonous plants and trees in your area) then eating a few leaves wont hurt him. You are more likely to get colic from a sudden change in food, like Cassie said - shutting them up on a sudden intake of dry food is more likely to lead to trouble than eating a few of the strange things out in the field!

If you have a mare and foal out on pasture as well as feed and hay, but have to suddenly shut them in for some reason (more than a night or a day) then it is easy to add 'wet' to the mare's feed to replace the moisture in her grass, but not so easy to do the same for a young foal, who would then be eating dry hay etc alongside his Mommas milk instead of milk and moist grass. Plus having to keep a foal in and away from any exercise can cause additional strain on its ability to keep its digestion moving along smoothly.

I think it was the 'dry' stuff that caused the problem with little Finn and all credit to Cassie for spotting that something was wrong as soon as it happened.
default_yes.gif
Cassie I think it very unlikely that Finn would have had any problems with over wet grass - well he might have been a bit 'farty' (!!) but not got himself blocked up. JMO.
default_wub.png

AnnaC said:
1322655640[/url]' post='1429809']Jenny as long as there is nothing poisonous around that he can get hold of (google poisonous plants and trees in your area) then eating a few leaves wont hurt him. You are more likely to get colic from a sudden change in food, like Cassie said - shutting them up on a sudden intake of dry food is more likely to lead to trouble than eating a few of the strange things out in the field!

If you have a mare and foal out on pasture as well as feed and hay, but have to suddenly shut them in for some reason (more than a night or a day) then it is easy to add 'wet' to the mare's feed to replace the moisture in her grass, but not so easy to do the same for a young foal, who would then be eating dry hay etc alongside his Mommas milk instead of milk and moist grass. Plus having to keep a foal in and away from any exercise can cause additional strain on its ability to keep its digestion moving along smoothly.

I think it was the 'dry' stuff that caused the problem with little Finn and all credit to Cassie for spotting that something was wrong as soon as it happened.
default_yes.gif
Cassie I think it very unlikely that Finn would have had any problems with over wet grass - well he might have been a bit 'farty' (!!) but not got himself blocked up. JMO.
default_wub.png
Thanks Anna!! I feel terrible that I caused this... I think that's what it was now too... It still upsets me that I almost killed my foal
no.gif
I thought I was doing the best thing it was so freezing n wet! N smarty n penny really didn't want to be out in the rain... Anyway what's done is done...Jenny dnt stress just enjoy your babies they can go before you know it!

default_saludando.gif
de-agos poos are like black peebles is that normal and i had to pop some out of his bottom this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back