ruby my naughty dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help but feel for the dog
default_no.gif

How much excercise and training does she get on a daily basis?

Often lack of stimulation can increase bad behaviour.

And I don't want to sound harsh either but Ruby's the one who has had a lot of changes dropped on her. I really don't like the idea of rehoming a dog because it no longer fits with the current lifestyle. Not without trying every possible option first which includes training, assessment and containment.

As to rehoming where would she go? She's a big dog with issues, there's not enough homes for dogs like that out in the world. If she simply has to go then it would be a kindness to have her put to sleep so she at least goes out of this life safe and with the people she has loved and trusted.

Yes a very tough situation! I agree with you both. Big dogs need training and exercise, which isn't always easy with work, kids and horses. I would try going to a dog class and teach her to come and leave if you want to keep her.

I had the opposite problem as Eagle attacks my dog, now there is a big area for the dog to run where Eagle can't get her. Living with a problem animal can get tiring.

What type of dog is she? These issues are common with some breeds.

I would suggest walking her on a leash and getting a kennel that is also closed in on top to let her have outside time. She has to learn and the others around her need to be protected. Some good training will do her very nicely. That could be hard to find a training program sometimes- around here there is an AMAZING organization who offers training for dogs just like this for free. They promote positive messages and training about pit bulls in particular but help other breeds and mixes with these issues.

But I would never let her run free outside. She should always be on a leash or in a closed area just for her. You can start training her with small commands and "leave it" and such while she is on the leash. I would never give her the opportunity to dash away. Have her leashed before the door is open and the same with the kennel.

There are loose dogs in our area often who were chained and get loose so I would feel more comfortable with the totally closed in run/kennel.

You can give her extra attention in other areas too- play with her more, take her out for a drive if she likes cars rides.. etc..

Good luck with her!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a dog here that was very bad about digging under the fences, also would jump, half climb the fences that were four feet high, We solved the problem like this. It's not expensive and takes only about one to two hours. We went to the farm supply and bought another electric charger, then we installed insulaters on the posts one down low where he would hit it if he started digging, the other about chest high, so if he went to climb or jump he would hit it. this was ten years ago. This dog is now 14 and hasn't gotten out of the yard again since the elctric was installed. If the electric goes out, he doesn't know he now respects the fence and stays in. Of course now is so old he can't hear and can only half see, but this stopped him from getting out and killing our chickens. Before we installed this system he was getting out every other day, driving me crazy, I also thought about rehoming him, and tried, but nobody wanted him and I couldn't live with myself he ended up in the pound. It wasn't his fault he was this way, it was his owners lack of training. Sadly his owner was me.

I'm sorry. I am a bit sensitive on this issue, since I had an important stallion and a mare he was breeding torn apart by pit bulls/pit-bull-blends dogs several years ago. We were able to shoot one of the dog pack -- as it was so "full" with horse meat that it couldn't jump over the fence to run away. We even tried to take the dog owner to court -- having the dog sent for autopsy to show the stomach contents -- but here where I live even the judges have these pit bulls for hog hunting and 'somehow' the dog body got lost, the officer who came wouldn't testify as to what the dog looked like, etc., etc. I'm really sensitive about dogs that are allowed to run loose -- especially where I live -- as many are trained to kill and maime, and there are many horse ranches around. This pack of dogs -- well known by most in the neighborhood -- killed 4 horses in the week after they killed my two, and three of my friends horses where mine were being boarded.

So, I apologize if I was a bit strong. I wish Ruby the best, and pray she never hurts the horses -- because it's just a truism of nature -- not her fault.
default_wacko.png

I really do understand were you are coming from Diane. And that is such a horrible thing to have to go through, I can't imagine how you felt.

I have very strong feelings about proper dog managment. It annoys me when the neighbours rock up looking for their dog because it is always loose. Luckily the two dogs guilty of this are a dumb and friendly lab and a fairly sensible border collie who won't touch my horses but it still annoys me. In your situation everyone of those dogs should have been found and shot. And then maybe the owners as well for putting everyone, including their dogs, through that
default_sad.png

My future dog breeds are all sight hounds. You can imagine I will be firmly on the ball to establish right from puppyhood that there is no chasing of certain animals, I'll have to be otherwise I will have a potential killer on my hands.

I also have very strong feelings about moving dogs on.

When I rehomed my dog I had numerous things at play, the main issues were the chase drive being directed at my horses and my own injured knee. Given that she was the new animal here and what her future prospects were it was actually quite easy to find her a new and very good home.

But Ruby may not be so lucky. She's a big dog, with issues, where will she go? Does she deserve to be shuffled off because she no longer suits her owners, because they changed part of her enviroment? Unless someone is known to have an interest in Ruby then her chances for a good home are the same as all the other dogs like her in shelters and pounds.

There are still things that can be tried for Ruby, at this point giving her up would be the easy way out.

default_saludando.gif
i will make the fence taller but i need help does anyone wont to come over and give me a hand

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

You can also add on top of the fence (once made taller) a panel that slopes inwards, it means if she jumps up too high she won't be able to grab onto the fence and pull herself over.

default_saludando.gif
please dont judge me... but i have given ruby to a friend that has allways wonted her and she has one of rubys puppys wich is now 1 1/2 years old and i no she will love her and look after her well...

i have been crying no stop so this desistion was very hard..but my foals are way more important

and i can see ruby when ever i like

.and it s not a good life for ruby being chained up all the time.and would cost a fortune do make all the fencing 6 foot tall which she would of probly have dug under the fence ...i think i have done the right

thing

default_saludando.gif
please dont judge me... but i have given ruby to a friend that has allways wonted her and she has one of rubys puppys wich is now 1 1/2 years old and i no she will love her and look after her well...

i have been crying no stop so this desistion was very hard..but my foals are way more important

and i can see ruby when ever i like

.and it s not a good life for ruby being chained up all the time.and would cost a fortune do make all the fencing 6 foot tall which she would of probly have dug under the fence ...i think i have done the right

thing
oh ok WOW lol we didn't even know there was anyone else that wanted her Jenny LOL naughty you should have told us! what a great solution!! I know it must be so hard but Ruby is now getting to live the life she wants... and with one of her babies as well
default_biggrin.png

and you can go and visit her whenever you like
default_wink.png
perfect...

I'm sure you must be sad but at least you know that she is in a better home (for her) and you can always go see her and your babies are safe
default_yes.gif

and you never know you may be able to get another dog in the future that you can train and will be great around the horses and foals
default_yes.gif

Jenny none of your friends on here will judge you silly
wacko.gif
You do whatever is best for you. We all have ideas but you are living out this situation so the choice is yours. I have given dogs away before as they were just too much and I am a serious dog lover ( I have 4 right now), sometimes it just doesn't work.

Hugs

default_saludando.gif
thank you everyone for being surportive of what ive done..ruby has settled in to her new

home like she has allways lived there..sounds like she is very happy
default_aktion033.gif

WOW!! It sounds like the perfect solution to me, and, as you have said, a better life for Ruby.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

There are times when we all have to shut dogs in or chain them up, but when the dog doesn't understand why you are doing it, it makes it very hard on the dog. So although you obviously feel sad right now, you have done the right thing for Ruby!
default_yes.gif

((((HUGS))))

So glad Ruby is enjoying her new home! Sounds like a great solution! And as the others have said- don't worry because your friends would never judge you! (((HUGS)))

Glad your all sorted out and Ruby is happy in her new home
default_aktion033.gif
sometimes relationships just dont work out including with our pets
default_no.gif
Im sure its for the best
default_yes.gif

I think you should be proud of yourself for giving her a chance to be happy again..it was an easy option to chain or lock her up but you both would have been very unhappy..WELL DONE for being so brave
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
thanks everyone ruby is doin great ...but its so different around here with out her the girl that took her has sent

me lots of photos ..and ruby is very happy...mack my 9 month old rotweiller is ok he follows me

around every were might get him a female rotweiller girl friend for him later

90ob2w.jpg

2ah9x95.jpg

default_saludando.gif
in those photos he is about 5months old he is 9months old now hes is a big boy now

Latest posts

Back