Mares Udder and Private area development before foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey

I have a mare who is 7 yrs old in foal due May 24. This mare had foal in 08 without any udder development foaled at 312 days. When I gave her the pre foaling shots she foaled 5 days later. Then in 10 she foaled at 309 days with full bag and waxing.We lost the filly last year because the filly got stuck. Our vet and us tried eveything to save her no luck. We gave her the pre foaling shots 30 days before due date in 10 as well, she foaled 3 days after given the shots. I spoke to vet about pre foaling shots this year. we have decide not to give shots to her since she has foaled shortly after each time. She is 317 days today. I am so worried because of what happen last year. I have foaling alarm on her right now i have had it on her since end of april. My questions are she has very loose private area she has alot of BM last night and today. The one thing that confused about is she has very small udder. She looks drop and ready all but the udder development. Do you think she will foal this year without udder development or what? She is showing all signs but udder development is only in front of udder right now. She is acting like she did in 08 when she foaled with no udder. My vet said sometimes they will develop udder before during or after foaling. I am on egg shells about to crack so worried. I pray she and her foal do well this year. Please keep us and my mare and foal in your prayers. We have foaled alot of foals at our farm, last year was first one we lost very hard time because it was the only foal last year. This foal is the only foal due this year.

Any ideals or advice would be great. I don't think it is the udder development is due to the grass that causes abort in mares, because i haven't see it in our hay or grass.

thanks everyone for helping me understand

have a few mares that sometimes bag HUGE and sometimes have a tiny bag and bag up at the last minute. i dont know if thats any help, but sending hugs and prayers that she will foal soon with a healthy baby and mom!!

Thanks for help and Prayers. God bless you all.

Please pray for my mare and foal

I have one this year doing exactly what you are describing. In fact I just posted about her being on cam. I am pretty sure she is going to foal without making a full udder first. She is at 341 and giving every sign of foaling except having a full udder. Like your mare the part in front of her udder is very swollen. I am hoping she will make one right before or right after she foals. Like your mare she was never on Fescue so we know that isnt a problem

Really all we can do is watch and wait and try to be there when they foal.

Sending prayers to you for a safe easy foaling

Thanks KayKay it makes me feel better knowing others are understanding what i am saying. I wish I had camera as well, but I don't I Am the camera lol. I do have foaling alarm which I believe in when foaling minis
default_smile.png

Thanks again i pray all goes well with your mare and foal as well. It is your mare first foal? This is my mare third foal different each time go figure.

Happy mothers day to all mothers

Yes this is her first so I am really nervous. Dang mares they worry us so much! I think in the years I have been doing this I have only had 1 other mare not bag up till she foaled. They are so tricky as you dont have those cues to know when to watch so you end up watching forever. Ughhh

Hey that belly shape looks familiar LOL. She sure looks close!

her private area is so loose i don't know if you can see that in the photo. her private area is tighter usually

I think she looks close also. I would watch her like a hawk.

I have foaled out 9 mares this year so far. Only one of them made a full bag. And that one was a maiden mare. And in the past years some of these mares have made full, hard bags well in advance. I KNOW that fescue is not an issue here so not sure whats up with them.

I've personally gave up on udder development years ago. I have several proven broodmares that don't develop any udder what so ever until they foal and then I have some that even after they foal they really don't have much to speak of in the way of an udder. Its literally the size of (1) boiled egg.

This particular year has presented us with a few more mares for some reason that haven't developed any udder at all until the last minute. Therefore, I just try and watch for all the other possible signs that may tell me that there getting prepared to foal.

thanks you all. i have been so worried. I have been watching her since april.

I am on pins and needles

no foal yet. she is so loose in the private area i am so amazed she has not foaled. still small udder development.

I pray she foals healthly foal.

keep the prayers coming thanks

Happy mothers day everyone

Back