My farrier trimmed my horses too short!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent suggestion, as well as wrapping the hoof with soft cotton or gauze pads for extra cushioning. I wouldn't give the farrier another chance - why? If a vet/farrier makes a "mistake" with my horses, that's the end of the story. I shouldn't have to tell them how to do their job.
default_no.gif

Take care,

Liz R.
Did the horse stand perfect? Were the facilities conducive to working on horses? Was the case a perfect representation of that particular condition? Did the horse respond to the drug of choice? Did the horse have a reaction to the medication?

If you don't want me to make what you perceive to be a mistake then I'll have to practice CYA medicine, which will have to be more expensive and labor intensive and frankly I will likely over charge because I know my time on your farm will be limited and I'm going to need to charge an aggravation/extra effort fee.

I do have clients who want that level of care, but they also know they are going to have to pay extra for it.

Dr Taylor

I'll have to practice CYA medicine,

Dr Taylor
It took me a few minutes to figure out what CYA medicine was. I was thinking,"well if it is a way to make a good outcome more likely don't we all want that" LOL

I think only the people on scene at a time where a mistake is made can determine if it is a honest error (we are all human after all) or if it indicates an ongoing lack of concern or outright incompetence. I would be examining previous experiences before I made my decision. If things had gone well previously and I was happy overall with the work being done then perhaps I need to discuss with the service provider what was hoped for and what went wrong and not "throw the baby out with the bath water".

has been over 5 weeks on my boys and I was watching their hooves grow out and they were all sound, but to my dismay every foot looked different, in fact AWFUL on their grow out from the horrible trim they received. Evidence again on a bad trim job, they had bad angles, flares, low heels on one, high heels on another and the feet were not all the same length, the left foot didn't match the right and they were walking on the outside of their feet and single tracking. I called my farrier and asked him if he would come out and take a look and see if we could balance the hooves now that they had grown out some in length. He said he was too busy but offered me his brother who was just learning how to trim feet. Not wanting to try a rookie trimmer, I decided to go for the CYA on my farrier and shop for someone new. I gave him a chance to fix the problem and he wasn't interested in even seeing what I was talking about.

I found a guy with many years of experience, trims horses locally and travels with his wife who does equine massage.

He fit me in right away into his schedule and the whole time he was working he showed me what was wrong with the angles and he spent hours leveling up and adjusting my three boys. He couldn't do everything in one visit, simply not enough foot to work with, still too short more than 5 weeks of growth.

He showed me how the bad trims were even affecting how my boys stood and were making their legs crooked. You could see the results of the new accurate trim as each foot was placed back on the ground. I am glad I didn't drive my boy too much while he was growing out.

The new farrier said my boy was trimmed so badly it would be like walking around with one high heel and one sneaker all day, his feet were that uneven. He had a device that measured angle and length and showed me exactly how different every foot was. My driving boy was trimmed so short enough that the bone was probably fairly close to the sole, explaining why he had such a strong pulse. Anyway, just wanted to post that I have a new farrier, and my boys are recovering and looking good. Glad I switched...my boys were putty in new guys hands and were practically dozing while being worked on he was so patient and gentle... Adair

has been over 5 weeks on my boys and I was watching their hooves grow out and they were all sound, but to my dismay every foot looked different, in fact AWFUL on their grow out from the horrible trim they received. Evidence again on a bad trim job, they had bad angles, flares, low heels on one, high heels on another and the feet were not all the same length, the left foot didn't match the right and they were walking on the outside of their feet and single tracking. I called my farrier and asked him if he would come out and take a look and see if we could balance the hooves now that they had grown out some in length. He said he was too busy but offered me his brother who was just learning how to trim feet. Not wanting to try a rookie trimmer, I decided to go for the CYA on my farrier and shop for someone new. I gave him a chance to fix the problem and he wasn't interested in even seeing what I was talking about.

I found a guy with many years of experience, trims horses locally and travels with his wife who does equine massage.

He fit me in right away into his schedule and the whole time he was working he showed me what was wrong with the angles and he spent hours leveling up and adjusting my three boys. He couldn't do everything in one visit, simply not enough foot to work with, still too short more than 5 weeks of growth.

He showed me how the bad trims were even affecting how my boys stood and were making their legs crooked. You could see the results of the new accurate trim as each foot was placed back on the ground. I am glad I didn't drive my boy too much while he was growing out.

The new farrier said my boy was trimmed so badly it would be like walking around with one high heel and one sneaker all day, his feet were that uneven. He had a device that measured angle and length and showed me exactly how different every foot was. My driving boy was trimmed so short enough that the bone was probably fairly close to the sole, explaining why he had such a strong pulse. Anyway, just wanted to post that I have a new farrier, and my boys are recovering and looking good. Glad I switched...my boys were putty in new guys hands and were practically dozing while being worked on he was so patient and gentle... Adair
This is wonderful news, Adair! I am so glad to hear you have found such a caring and competent farrier.

My girls were also trimmed too short about the same time as yours were. My new farrier came out Fri and is a perfect fit for us, too! She spent a long time just bonding with the girls, as they were so stressed to start with- even grinding their teeth - but they soon warmed up to her and relaxed. She only touched up one of the girls and left the other one be for now, as their angles were not off much.

I really can feel your relief and share in your joy in finding a new farrier.

Latest posts

Back