Foal Navel dipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Wondering what yall use to dip the foals navel in?

I have used durvets triodine-7 for a long time on my goats and past foals, never have had an issue. Recently I read it was to strong and should be diluted?

We switched to Nalvasan a few years ago. Dries the navel up much faster and not nearly as dangerous as Iodine.

I usually use a shot glass. It is fast and easy!

I personally utilize a spray bottle..... Much easier and less mess.
Me too
default_yes.gif
I use betadine.

Betadine and Nolvasan are equally effective.

Tincture of iodine should be avoided.

Frankly I think the entire procedure isn't worth the effort.

Dr Taylor

Betadine and Nolvasan are equally effective.

Tincture of iodine should be avoided.

Frankly I think the entire procedure isn't worth the effort.

Dr Taylor
You don't think it's necessary to disinfect the navel at all? Why not? Everything I've read says it's one of the basic musts of post-foaling procedures. Every single farm (from huge operations to little ones) I know does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't do it unless we have to cut the cord ourselves which we've only ever had to do once. My vets also say it's unnecessary.

Spray bottles here as well, but will dip the first time or two so it is well soaked.

Have to say I never heard anyone say it doesn't need doing.

I use 1% iodine here as stronger can burn the tissue. My vet has said in the past, it needs to be done multiple times per day for the first few days until the stump dries up.

I would like to hear more about Dr Taylors' thoughts on this.

You don't think it's necessary to disinfect the navel at all? Why not? Everything I've read says it's one of the basic musts of post-foaling procedures. Every single farm (from huge operations to little ones) I know does it?
It shocked me too, but I have heard several times that it is NOT necessary!
default_new_shocked.gif
It isn't done for human babies either - I'm told that ancient practice!
default_wacko.png

The reasoning is that there is no literature that supports this theory being a useful practice, but rather the "we've just always done this" rational. That's what I'm learning in school anyways. Like I said, I was shocked too!!

I use bentadine when the foal is born, I soak in into a gauze aponge and apply. Last year we had a colt born that when he was three days old got constapated, he started dribbling urine from his naval. I gave him an enema and called my vet, who after axamining him told me to soak his naval twice a day in alcohol as it would dry it up faster then the betadine. He is now fine.

It shocked me too, but I have heard several times that it is NOT necessary!
default_new_shocked.gif
It isn't done for human babies either - I'm told that ancient practice!
default_wacko.png

The reasoning is that there is no literature that supports this theory being a useful practice, but rather the "we've just always done this" rational. That's what I'm learning in school anyways. Like I said, I was shocked too!!
Well....human babies also (usually) aren't apt to lie in their own feces. Stalls are a lot more unsanitary than a clean diaper...
default_wink.png
Also, a foal's immune system is far less developed (almost non-existent) than a human baby's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know of any study that says it helps.

There is a perception that navel ill or joint ill are caused by an ascending navel infection. This usually is not the case. E coli is usually brought into the body orally.

Patent urachus, the condition wherein the navel drips urine, is a sign of systemic illness, not local disease. It should be treated with parenteral antibiotics (but I have had good results with local treatment at times as well).

I think its important to allow Mom and baby time alone to get acquainted and pass the placenta. If you want to put on something, do it the next afternoon.

Dr Taylor

But it can't hurt, can it? One can dip/spray the navel as soon as it breaks and then leave mom and foal alone to bond/pass the placenta, right?

But it can't hurt, can it? One can dip/spray the navel as soon as it breaks and then leave mom and foal alone to bond/pass the placenta, right?
I encourage owners to have a dim light to enter and leave the barn without the mare knowing or a camera. If there isn't a problem then stay away for a few hours.

Yes, I've seen well meaning people help until they hurt something.

Dr Taylor

Matt, No it doesn't hurt......we've done it for years especially when in a stall situation. We just don't OVER do it. If it were totally wrong, we'd see many many dead babies. (Over doing it can be counterproductive because it doesn't allow the navel to dry out. It also can burn the baby's skin.)

Believe it or not, it's cleaner to have a foal birth out in a grassy field. We've had foals surprise us out in the field and by the time we bring the pair of them in, the navel is already drying up. None of those foals had a problem.

(Our favorite foaling experiences have been out on the pasture just off the barn with us in attendance. And of course the weather is perfect for it.
default_biggrin.png
)

Matt, No it doesn't hurt......we've done it for years especially when in a stall situation. We just don't OVER do it. If it were totally wrong, we'd see many many dead babies. (Over doing it can be counterproductive because it doesn't allow the navel to dry out. It also can burn the baby's skin.)

Believe it or not, it's cleaner to have a foal birth out in a grassy field. We've had foals surprise us out in the field and by the time we bring the pair of them in, the navel is already drying up. None of those foals had a problem.

(Our favorite foaling experiences have been out on the pasture just off the barn with us in attendance. And of course the weather is perfect for it.
default_biggrin.png
)

Thanks, Dr. Taylor. I totally agree. Oh, I know, Mary Ann. If my foal was being born in a big grassy field in a herd situation, I wouldn't worry. But many/most foals are born in stalls. And I've never done the whole 3-5day thing. I, actually, spray it right after it's born and that's it (it dries up/seals up pretty quick, I figure).

The only foal I personally know of that contracted navel ill, was a foal that did not have it's navel dipped, due to the owner not being there at the birth. Personally, after watching that foal suffer and die, tis a small-small thing to dip it and be sure. My opinion is that it doesn't hurt if it is not necessary, and will save a life if it is.

I am switching to bentadine.

I will still be dipping/ spraying/ soaking. I only do it right after birth and once the next morning. I see it may be unnessasary, but I like to be cautious. Better to do it and not need it than not do it and wish I had:)

Latest posts

Back