Turnout Hits and Misses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha Cassada said:
Our small thrift store is pretty hopeless, I'm afraid. And what is with all these size 4 folks?! The nicest clothes are the tiniest.
default_new_shocked.gif
I think I need to come shop at your thrift store! I can't find anything in a size 4 to save my life...all the nice jackets are made for, shall we say, more operatic ladies.
default_wacko.png

RhineStone said:
All the carts are pretty much the same style, the harnesses are too, and so if you have an absolutely brillant mover, that is what the judge sees, hence why they end up at the top. But then whatever that driver is doing, everyone emulates because "that must be what it takes to win". If you have an average mover, the driver needs to wear something that "sticks out" so that the judge sees them. However, that doesn't necessarily do the horse any good, because the judge is looking at the driver. Yes, the judge can use the driver's description to remember a horse he liked, i.e. "lady in the red suit".
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. Breed shows are LOOKING for the brilliant mover, not advanced training or great turnout but the best horse. It's been explained to me as a halter class in motion which I sadly find to be pretty true.

As such, the drivers each tend to wear an outfit with bling (especially if the horse is a plain bay or other color that's easy to lose on the rail) in order to be memorable but the judges are so used to bling I really don't think they focus on the driver. You can use your outfit to get a good second look from the judge but then it's up to you to make sure your average mover is showing off how consistent and rhythmic they are at the moment the judge is looking or all he's going to do is admire your outfit and move on to a better horse.

Leia

default_new_shocked.gif
I think I need to come shop at your thrift store! I can't find anything in a size 4 to save my life...all the nice jackets are made for, shall we say, more operatic ladies.
default_wacko.png
Don't come to Wisconsin. We have cheese and we LIKE it! I don't know of too many size 4 people here!
default_laugh.png

Breed shows are LOOKING for the brilliant mover, not advanced training or great turnout but the best horse. It's been explained to me as a halter class in motion which I sadly find to be pretty true.

As such, the drivers each tend to wear an outfit with bling (especially if the horse is a plain bay or other color that's easy to lose on the rail) in order to be memorable but the judges are so used to bling I really don't think they focus on the driver. You can use your outfit to get a good second look from the judge but then it's up to you to make sure your average mover is showing off how consistent and rhythmic they are at the moment the judge is looking or all he's going to do is admire your outfit and move on to a better horse.
I completely agree with you, Leia. ADS shows are looking for the brilliant mover, too (as long as the horse is moving "true" with roundness and tracking up...) and if that horse is satisfying the requirements, it is on the top. But because our turnouts are different, we don't have to wear bling to be memorable (if you did, you would be "memorable" to the judge, but not how you want to be!
default_wink.png
). Now, I did have a student that has a nice moving mini that didn't place in a class once. Since I was in the class, too, I asked my mom to watch her in the next class to see what she was doing wrong and my mom's comment was, "I couldn't find her". She had a very white overo maxi-mini put to a Meadowbrook, but had a light cream coat with no color, and basically got lost in a field of about 11 minis. She "blended" too well. We had her add a bit of color next year, and she was back in the ribbons, so I know that catching the judge's eye is important no matter what style you show. But the driver with the average mover has to do SO much more in a breed class because everybody has the same cart and harness. At ADS shows, you can have Meadowbrooks, Road Carts, Jerald-style, Minicrowns, Smart Carts, and my Phaeton Cart all in the same VSE class.

I think that Diane D. has the right idea about dressing "conservatively" (nice jacket vs. bare shoulders and sequins, etc.) for breed shows, including a nice hat, to be "different" than everyone else. (I've seen photos of Leia with the same). If I had to tell people how to turnout for the breed ring, I guess that is what I would suggest. We have done very well over the years being "different". We showed a Pinto Arab in Saddleseat and the absolute only times we were out of the ribbons was from major rider error (my student cued Spider wrong and blew a lead, etc.) I would watch the whole class and see much more impressive movers than Spider, but because he was big and white in a field of 20 chestnut and bay Saddlebreds, he would place over really nice horses (and because he is so "loud' the kids had to wear very conservative suits). When we started driving competitively almost 20 years ago, my mom's gray mini would sometimes be the only mini in the class, and usually it seemed the judge didn't know what to do with him, so he would invariably be in the middle of the ribbons ("I don't dare place a mini over a Morgan
default_unsure.png
, but he's doing a nice job..."), but he always placed. He was different, but within the rules. We showed that gray mini to a Jerald style cart, but after he won quite a bit and the VSE division became more competitive, we had to go to different cart, as there were nicer Jeralds in the ring than ours.

Fit the "mold" as much as it takes to be within the rules, but then change it up! Don't do what everyone else is doing. And Show your Good Horse. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you dress if your horse isn't great.

Myrna

I think that Diane D. has the right idea about dressing "conservatively" (nice jacket vs. bare shoulders and sequins, etc.) for breed shows, including a nice hat, to be "different" than everyone else. (I've seen photos of Leia with the same). If I had to tell people how to turnout for the breed ring, I guess that is what I would suggest. Myrna
Wow! I'll take that compliment , Myrna! Coming from you that means a lot! You said the only thing I was going to ad and that is top your outfit with a cool hat and you will get the judges attention. Then it is up to you to show your horse to it's best then let the placings fall where they may. A great hat, perfect for your turnout, will get attention every time! I am not above having a little bling, but I will always have a hat to go "with".

In our Oregon Pinto shows, most of the drivers now are wearing hats. I don't think I have had one show yet that at least one of the judges comments to us as we are lined up, about how much they apprectiate and look forward to how we "dress up". Many of these judges are the sames judges you see across the country judging the AMHA and AMHR shows. Billie Hazeltine, Richard Petty, etc...

default_thumbup.gif
Excellent post, Myrna.

RhineStone said:
Don't come to Wisconsin. We have cheese and we LIKE it! I don't know of too many size 4 people here!
default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif
I like cheese! Maybe I should come visit!
default_laugh.png

RhineStone said:
We have done very well over the years being "different". We showed a Pinto Arab in Saddleseat and the absolute only times we were out of the ribbons was from major rider error (my student cued Spider wrong and blew a lead, etc.) I would watch the whole class and see much more impressive movers than Spider, but because he was big and white in a field of 20 chestnut and bay Saddlebreds, he would place over really nice horses (and because he is so "loud' the kids had to wear very conservative suits). ...
Fit the "mold" as much as it takes to be within the rules, but then change it up! Don't do what everyone else is doing. And Show your Good Horse. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you dress if your horse isn't great.
Atta girl, Myrna. I agree with you!

Spyderman always got attention in the ring because with those four balanced white socks he was eye-catching, then once we had the judge's eye we kept it with substance behind the flash. Kody is not flashy but I harness him a little differently and drive him as is appropriate for HIM, not for anyone else. He goes with a loose check no matter what because that's what he needs to move into the bridle. Just because everyone else is pussy-footing around the ring at a western jog doesn't mean I'm going to hold my horse back when they call for a lengthened trot. I read the class description very carefully and I follow it- people said I was winning because I "went fast" but that had nothing to do with it. He covered more ground than the other horses because he actually lengthened stride- something no one else was doing. I was not going to hide my horse's best feature because no one else was doing it...not when the class description called for it! It will take Turbo longer to get into the winner's circle with the way I plan to train him too but as you say, I'm going to drive MY horse and not what someone else wants to see. When I'm done he'll have the same frame as your typical country pleasure horse but will hold it without a check and do it properly, coming up through the withers and using his rump. That's beautiful to me and none of the ribbons are worth it if I don't like how my own horse looks.

Leia

Latest posts

Back