Photo
- - - - -

Turnout Hits and Misses

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

Ok, for the sake of education, I'm going to lay myself out there. Try to keep all snickering to a loud roar, please. :wink

I am in the process of putting together a PowerPoint for carriage driving Turnout for a local club. Here is some of the material that I am using.

You all have seen my blue Phaeton Cart and the outfit that I wear for Turnout (I wear something else for the other classes), but here are a few other photos of what I started out wearing before I "got it right".

Here is one of my first turnouts. I look wonderfully "generic" in my black and white, don't I? There is nothing that ties me to the vehicle. The blue screams, "I'm a blue undercarriage!"
Posted Image

This one is a little better, but the blues "fight". And what do you see most? The big white hat. And get a load of the messy, frizzy mane. Yuck! No wonder John Greenall pinned me 4th in this class! The crock of it is that my husband (who had been to a Greenall clinic earlier in the year) tried to tell me that John wasn't fond of white and couldn't stand messy manes! Duh!
Posted Image

So here is what I wear now in Turnout. The whole thing just "goes". I still am not thrilled with the hat, I think it is just a bit too big. It is not outside my shoulders, but this being somewhat of a "sporting" vehicle with the "bright" color, my hat should be more "sporting". But if I didn't have that black and blue hat, I would be back to nothing tying me to the vehicle enough. I have a bit of blue in the scarf, but that isn't enough. However, I haven't found the perfect hat yet. Mary Ruth Marks says, "You use what you have until you get what you want."

The mane is braided, so it isn't messy. (It doesn't matter how much Mane Mousse and hairspray I use, that one section of Alax's mane always flips.) I also reupholstered the seats because the "cool" tan faught with every outfit I tried to put with it. (Actually, the whole box was new, and we put the old box on a pony vehicle.) The seat now matches the stripe on the vehicle.
Posted Image

This is what I wear for Reinsmanship. The reason I wear something different is that in Reinsmanship you want to draw attention to yourself, because that is what is being judged. In Pleasure, you want to disappear more so that the horse is the focus. I have thought about wearing this for Turnout (this is my favorite Turnout), BUT...while the hat is really cute, it is felt. It isn't logical to wear felt in the summer, so the judge could feasibly nail me on that with everything else being equal. My black and blue above is satin-covered straw. (Of course, it isn't logical to wear long sleeves all buttoned up, but the tradition is based in Europe, where it is much more mild than here.) This photo was taken during Cross Country, but if it was a ring class, I again would braid Al's mane, and make Kyle wear a velvet helmet cover (the things you can't get kids to do in the heat...:RollEyes ) I don't wear my monogrammed apron with the above outfit, because I wore the dark gray apron with the black coat this year, and I looked like one big blob of black from a distance.
Posted Image

Stay tuned, Meadowbrook is next.

Myrna

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart

Owners, Trainers, and Exhibitors of Champion Carriage Horses including:
37" Fantasy Corral's Magic Galaxy (AMHR) - 8x ADS Champion in Very Small Equine, Juniors, and Multiples Divisions

www.rhinestone-ridge.wikispaces.com

American Driving Society Midwest Regional Director

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

So, we built this Meadowbrook for a sorrel pinto mare. The color looked great on her. But along comes Alax, and I want to show him instead. Remember the "use what you have until you get what you want'? That is the case here. I knew that I wanted the blue Phaeton Cart, but we didn't have it built yet, and I had to see if Alax was going to show anyway.

This was his first show in 2007. While I like the coat, I'm not fond of it with this cart. The stain has more orange and the coat is burgundy. This coat would look fine with a darker stained vehicle that probably has more browns than red or orange. And what is with that big white seat! Honest, in the store it looked a whole lot more cream than white, but from a distance in the bright sunshine, what do you see? The big white seat. But hey, I got 5th! Al's first ADS ribbon. I was happy we placed.
Posted Image

So then I decided to wear a vest for Reinsmanship and obstacles. The nice thing about the vest is that it divides my slouchy shoulder blades better than a coat. But what do you see here? Big white seat and burgundy arms. What was I thinking! And that hat is OK, but not my favorite. It's one of my "old standbys".
Posted Image

So last year, we went to a show that had a deeper sand arena, and I wanted to use a lighter vehicle than my Phaeton Cart. So out comes the Meadowbrook. This turnout is MUCH better. We redid the seat in a darker tan that doesn't scream anymore, and I just added a little color in my scarf and hat band. Now that I know more, I think it is a mistake to add too much color to a stained vehicle turnout, because the driver with all the color draws attention to themselves instead of "blending". I also like the "dark-light-dark" look with the hat and apron being offset by the coat.

Look at the pinstriping in the first photo with the cream seats compared to the tan seats. I didn't redo the striping, but it looks more muted with the tan.
Posted Image

So this was my Meadowbrook turnout this year for a muddy (squishy) show. I was thoroughly sick of wearing my little black and cream hats above, so I got this one. It looks great OTHER THAN it flipped up in any little breeze (like a strong trot). I still like the hat, but I need to figure out how to stiffen it a little bit. The flipping was entirely annoying and distracting. That is why my head is tipped down with my chin tucked, and I look like I am slouching (which I probably am), because I was trying to get my hat to flip back down. That was the only class I wore that hat for the whole year. I should have practiced with the hat ahead of time. I also have a clear bra strap holding my big hats on, because the first time I drove with my big black and blue one, it just about lifted off my head! You don't look so cool driving around the ring with one hand on the reins and whip and the other holding your hat on! I have great photos of me lifting my chin in the air trying to see below my big hat which is crammed on my head. Classy...not!
Posted Image

Myrna

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart

37" Fantasy Corral's Magic Galaxy (AMHR) - 8x ADS Champion in Very Small Equine, Juniors, and Multiples Divisions

#3 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Here is one other cart. I showed Dolly in 2006 before Alax was ready. While I like the cart size and stain which we picked out and made just for her, here is that big white seat again! (I got a good deal on the fabric...)

This is actually a student of mine showing the mare. I like the lighter coat and the burgundy shirt with Dolly, and even the seat isn't so bad because of her flaxen mane, but get a load of the "duck tails". The apron doesn't wrap all the way around, and so the coat sticks out and screams. Jenny could have also used a velvet helmet cover.
Posted Image

And here is my big bright idea for a turnout with Dolly at the next show. How often do you hear, "The apron should match the seat." This is totally taken out of context, but way back in 2006, I thought it might help. What happened instead? I look like a giant blob from the waist down! See how Jenny above has some definition to herself and I don't? I don't wear the same color apron as the seat anymore for just that reason. The "rule" is that the apron should "go" with the vehicle, not necessarily "match" it. It is an appointment of the vehicle, not your attire. It's like if you kept a blanket in your car for emergencies, but wanted one that "went with" the car. You don't need one that is the exact same color as the seats. (Anyone need a big white seat for their cart? I have two for the taking! Oh...I didn't think so.
Posted Image

So this was the last show we took Dolly to in '06. I had gotten the photos back from the previous shows and decided that the big white seat and my cream apron had to go. I used my old standby, first attempt at upholstery, black vinyl seat instead. I used the same coat as above, but replaced it with the forest green shirt instead. I like this, but it doesn't say "Wow". I need a lapel pin and some tailoring for the coat. Dolly's mane is messy, and those straps from my helmet need to be taken up some way so they are not flopping around. My new apron of a wool blend with the monogram and the tan trim in the first post has better shape than this gabardine one. (But I used what I had until I got what I wanted.)

Look at my posture in both photos. In this cart, I always have bad posture for two reasons. #1 - I don't have a seat back. I always feel like I am going to fall out the back (it didn't help that at the time, the mare was prone to rearing), and #2 - with only one half of a leaf spring, the suspension isn't great. If I sit up, the cart vibration goes up my spine. Springs are goooood.
Posted Image

OK, so there I put myself out there for critique. Feel free to add your comments. Hopefully, this made sense. (If my husband knew how much time I spent on this, he would be upset....)

Myrna

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart

#4 Shari

Shari

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

This one is a little better, but the blues "fight". And what do you see most? The big white hat. And get a load of the messy, frizzy mane. Yuck! No wonder John Greenall pinned me 4th in this class! The crock of it is that my husband (who had been to a Greenall clinic earlier in the year) tried to tell me that John wasn't fond of white and couldn't stand messy manes! Duh!
Posted Image

In this photo, I don't know if it is because I am getting older or an Artist or a combo of both.... but I don't really see the white hat. To me... the blue of the cart is standing out the most.

I love all your photos BTW. :wink

#5 CZP1

CZP1

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Wonderful thread Myrna! It is amazing how the first to the more recent pictures show the difference in the turnouts. Chris
Be yourself because everyone else is taken. Oscar Wilde

CZP Cheyenne Blue - AMHR
www.appybeads.com

#6 Minxiesmom

Minxiesmom

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for this Myrna! It is interesting to see the progression. I have seen hits and misses in my own show ring turnout, but not until I get the pictures back. Sometimes, when putting the outfit together, it sounds like a good idea or looks good closeup, but at a distance or in the pictures, I see it just doesn't work.

Even though the turnout judges in your type of shows are much more picky than at a breed show, I want to perfect my turnout to create a more beautiful picture. It can't hurt (and probably helps more often than we realize).
Diane Dorigan
Medford, OR
diandtom@live.com

Home of
Country Rds Hughstons Rio Grande, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA gelding
2012 AMHA Western Regional Champion AOTE Sr Gelding; Champion Amateur Sr. Gelding, Lvl 1
2012 AMHA Western Regional Reserve Champion Multi-Color Stallions/Geldings
2012 NWMHC Hi Point AOTE Sr Gelding; Amateur Sr Gelding Lvl 1; Open Sr Gelding 32-34; Multi-Color Stallions/Geldings
2012 NWMHC Over All Hi Point Gelding.
2012 AMHA Honor Roll-Amateur Sr. Gelding, Lvl 1 - 2nd place; AOTE Lvl 1- Sr. Gelding - 3rd place.

#7 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

In this photo, I don't know if it is because I am getting older or an Artist or a combo of both.... but I don't really see the white hat. To me... the blue of the cart is standing out the most.

I would agree in this photo, but in real life the navy blue is more obvious (not so dark). Both the hat and the coat are wrong with the cart. The hat might work with a horse with more white.

Myrna

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart

#8 sdust

sdust

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I don't drive at that level, just drive for fun, so I have no idea what is correct, however I think the turnouts are wonderful! My question is about the manes. What is the best way to keep a mane if you really just want a neat look for driving. My mini's mane is long, at least 3/4 of the way down his neck and it is thick. Keep up the infomation on what is right and what's not. Thanks! Debbie

#9 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I have seen hits and misses in my own show ring turnout, but not until I get the pictures back. Sometimes, when putting the outfit together, it sounds like a good idea or looks good closeup, but at a distance or in the pictures, I see it just doesn't work.

That is so true. I have taken all sorts of photos of the clothing laying over the cart, which is a start, but then like you say, I see the photos from the show and realize it doesn't work. It really is a good idea to do a "dress rehearsal".

Here is a photo of my first dress rehearsal with my Phaeton Cart. I thought that blue coat was going to be awesome, until I looked at the photos. It was just SO MUCH blue! And the coat didn't fit well, it was so bunchy. So that is when I went strickly the other way and got the overly toned down navy. Sometimes it just takes a while to get it all together. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect hat.
Posted Image

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart

#10 RhineStone

RhineStone

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

What is the best way to keep a mane if you really just want a neat look for driving. My mini's mane is long, at least 3/4 of the way down his neck and it is thick.

For the mini breed show ring, you can't braid it. That is against the rules. I will defer to others as to how to get it to lay down. Obviously, I haven't been successful at that! :OKinteresting

I use the Running or French braid on Alax, but I am highly considering wacking his mane off this year so I can do button braids. The nice thing about the French braid is that it is generally fast. The bad thing about it is that it is really easy for him to take out on his own! Posted Image If he stretches his neck down to eat, out pops the braid! There are other braids, like the web, but I think that looks better on horses with a contrasting mane, vs. one that is the same as the body.

I do undercut a good share of Alax's thick mane, too.

Myrna

RhineStone Ridge

Chad & Myrna Rhinehart