Foaling and age of the mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been very fortunate with a high fertility here (Thanks Kathi for pointing out what "ho's" my mares are!). Three stallion's managed to bless us with six foals this past year - creative use of fences and a couple of jumpers....

Anyway, I was told when I first started in Minis to start breeding them at two and basically breed them every year until they stopped, and that use to be the conventional wisdom. I never saw that as a good idea (like a teen can get pregnant but should she?) so we don't do that. Generally we start breeding once they're four to five. As for when they quit, it depends on the mare. Some need more time between foaling and some do well every year. My oldest mares that we still breed, do not get bred back to back or with a foal on them. Some have had a few years off, but get back into foal easily. I've found some are harder to keep weight on them and they don't bounce back as quick as the younger ones. So its your judgement if she's healthy and fit or not.

My choice is to stop them around 19-20, but some stop younger and some...well they're creative and have their own plans! Again you have to judge the individual mare.

What we've found is the exposure to stallions (common fence line) keeps them cycling, so I don't feel the need to keep them always in foal. Considering we have 35 breeding age mares (over 4 years), I only breed 5-10 max per year.

So to answer you question, I wouldn't be afraid of a 14 year old mare. That is assuming a good foaling history, health, etc., and preferably not with umpteen previous owners.

I do hope you're also considering her future fate in the long term. If you're planning on breeding Minis for a number of years, what do you plan for this mare? (barring the unknown) I mean if you buy her at 14, do you plan to use her for x number of years and then? I really hate to see people buy a mare in their teens breed her until she's 20ish then dump her. The older ones I make plans for their future, whether they're lifers here or a retirement/pet home. I just feel that is the responsible thing to do.

I would, without question, buy a 14-18 year old mare for breeding, if I fell in love
default_wub.png
(even for one foal and then to keep as a pet). A friend of mine has a gorgeous Arabian mare that has been with her since the age of 3. They bred her this year, at the age of 15, for the first time. She caught, no problem, and is due in April
default_biggrin.png

default_aktion033.gif
Congrats on the first foal for your mature mare!!! Whaaa Whooo!!

Everyone has been so helpful. That was truely the only reason I was hesitant was the age.

I will keep everyone posted!!

Back