Turnip recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
We where given two turnips, husband and I are not crazy on turnips.

Any good recipes that we might change our mind?

Thanks

Give this a try. It's Turnip Gratin:

2 cups heavy cream

3 cloves garlic, smashed

1 bundle thyme

Pinch of cayenne

Kosher salt

1/2 stick butter, plus extra for baking dish

2 pounds turnips, peeled and sliced very thin (mandoline works best)

1 1/2 cups grated parmigiano

Directions

Special Equipment: mandolin (or a lot of patience and a sharp knife), 11 by 7-inch baking dish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the cream, garlic, thyme and cayenne in a saucepan and season it with salt. Taste to make sure it is adequately seasoned. Bring the cream to a boil and then turn off the heat. Let the mixture steep for 15 to 20 minutes.

Butter the baking dish and layer in 1/3 of the sliced turnips. Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated cheese over the turnips and dot with 1/3 of the butter. Remove the thyme and garlic from the cream and pour 1/3 of the cream over the turnips. Repeat this process 2 more times until all of the ingredients are used up.

Cover the dish with foil, place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes, until golden. When done a fork should slide in and out of the center of the dish easily.

For easier serving, let the dish rest 10 to 12 minutes before serving.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I'm not a fan for either turnips or parsnips, but will add them to both Beef Stew or Chicken & Dumplings.
default_unsure.png

I'm not a fan for either turnips or parsnips, but will add them to both Beef Stew or Chicken & Dumplings.
default_unsure.png
When I was kid, Mom added turnips to the beef stew, they aren't bad as they take on the taste of the stew.

thanks any others... will have to try one of these.

So hope it changes our mind...
default_eat.gif

The only way I've ever eaten turnips is to snack on them raw with a little salt. Never been a big fan of them either.

still not sure what I am going to do with them.

Hubby still says he might try a spoon,
default_no.gif

I have tried a few people, but they do not want them either...

My favourite veggie! I love them plain old-plain old...just boiled...then mashed with plenty of butter, a bit of white sugar, and YUMMMMMY!!

We cook them with carrots then mash with butter and sugar. My favorite is the next day- mix with mashed potatos and fry with butter. Mmmmmmm My brother used to call it " human stew" when he was little but nobody knows why LOL

Latest posts

Back