Trimming feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do my own with the exception of one because she has foundered in the past and would rather have a pro do hers.

That said I am lucky and have an excellent farrier who charges 25 a horse, and the one that needs shoes is 50.

I ask why you do it every 2-3 weeks????? That is excessive! I dont even do mine every 8 weeks(except the foundered mare) as they dont need it that often.

If I even asked a farrier to do them that often they would laugh and tell me im nuts they dont need it that often. They would say its a wast of money.

I learned from my uncle who taught himself by watching others.

I often am working on my minis when the farrier is doing the others. He sharpens my tools for me when he comes out, free of charge. And has even commented about wanting to take me with him to work.......I have been asked to do others but not comfortable with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
He went 3.5 weeks after Nationals before his toes started to look a little pointed and I got the farrier right out. I have it done so often for a couple of reaons. First, I keep him on farrier's forumla ds and his little hooves grow like little weeds, in the summer 2.5 weeks is about all he can go without looking long. My farrier was amazed at how fast he grows. Secondly, I'm paranoid. I read that letting the hooves get too long can contribute to them having stifle issues. A friend of mine went through that and there is NO WAY I'm doing it. I'd rather be paranoid and safe than sorry.

I agree with you mominis, keeping him trimmed maybe a little excessively is better than letting him get too long. But, if he's growing enough to make his hooves long in 2.5 weeks, but you farrier only rasps, I think your farrier might be taking advantage of you a little because he is not cutting enough I'm guessing. I have a mare whose hooves grow SO fast, she has to be clipped every 4 weeks. I try to keep her pretty short, I rasp in between when I can to extend that 4 weeks. I think a rasp would be a very wise investment for you. Rasp him every 2 weeks and have the farrier out every 6-8.

I've been doing my own since I got my first mini in 1984. Back in the late '60s, I'd gotten so frustrated w/ not being able to find a good shoer when we lived in Safford, I got a good book, bought the basic tools, and shod my QH a couple of times-slowly, but successfully!

All those years later, I knew I couldn't afford to own a group of minis unless I could take care of their feet myself, so that's what I did.

Although I 'made do' w/ some of those 10" 'nail nippers'(made for cutting off horseshoe nails, not for hooves), I finally got smart and paid for some QUALITY, 12' 'racetrack' nippers that will really CUT well...mine are DS...and what a difference! I also use a quality hoof knife, 'The Knife'. Even though they are not the pinnacle of quality, I chose the short 'mini' rasp, because the shorter length is so much more manueverable for minis(and are reasonable enough in price to replace when they dull). Yes to a good pair of well-fitting leather gloves; I use a leather 'hay apron', which is a lot less costly than a farrier's apron. Mine now needs a couple of pieces of 'reinforcing' leather in strategic spots(easy to have done by a saddle maker or the like), but have served me VERY well for about 20 years!

One challenge w/ some minis is that the sole literally 'grows down' w/ the wall, making trimming a extra challenge so as not to remove too much sole, as generally one should only remove 'dead' sole, and trim only ragged edges/'dead'(flaking)portions off the frog. Also a challenge is properly positioning the nippers to keep the trim flat and level as you go around the hoof's perimeter. It is a very good idea to read and study intensely, from proven-to-be KNOWLEDGEABLE farriers.

Margo

One challenge w/ some minis is that the sole literally 'grows down' w/ the wall, making trimming a extra challenge so as not to remove too much sole, as generally one should only remove 'dead' sole, and trim only ragged edges/'dead'(flaking)portions off the frog. Also a challenge is properly positioning the nippers to keep the trim flat and level as you go around the hoof's perimeter. It is a very good idea to read and study intensely, from proven-to-be KNOWLEDGEABLE farriers.

Margo
I've noticed that too with the minis compared to saddle horses, the sole "follows" the wall. [Whereas the saddle horses the sole more readily flakes on his own and you are left with just wall to cut. Some need some trimming of sole, but I can usually pick the flaky stuff with just a hoof pick.]

This raises another gripe that I have had with my farrier. I didn't really want to post the whole laundry list of things that I've seen him do that I don't like, but... He, despite my asking him to do so on many occasions, doesn't touch the sole at all, other than to trim up the frog. In my opinion, I think Shake's feet are way too flat. I've questioned both my vet and the farrier on this and they didn't seem to take the concerns too seriously. However, there is extensive bruising on the hoof wall and I strongly feel that this is the reason. My vet didn't seem to think so. In fact, his answer to me was, "Mimi, he has white feet and you're just going to have to live with it."

I've had many horses with white feet over the years and never had the problem like this before. I have occasionally seen brusing on the hoof wall, but never to the degree that Shake has and usually due to a concussion sustained by the hoof either through interfering or because of an injury to the hoof itself. Every once in a great while, I'd see hoof wall bruising that was unexplained, but I have always chalked that up to an injury or concussion in the stall that no one saw happen, or maybe a concussive force training injury that didn't immediately show up. But I've not seen it with the longevity that this problem has presented.

I personally think that, were the sole taken back a bit, he would be more confortable. Now, he's not obviously lame in any sense of the word, and doesn't come up lame in the conventional testing methods that I have used (hoof testers, flexion, etc) but the discoloration is a real concern for me as I know there has to be discomfort involved that I'm just not seeing in him. This is especially bothing me now as we are starting him in performance work and as he progresses, he will have to engage the hind end more and more. If he's experienceing discomfort in the hind feet, then I fear that I'm setting us up for a problem later down the training road as the hind end begins to bear more weight. Again, my vet didn't seem to share my concern.

I've tried to reasearch this, but haven't found much on bruising on the hoof wall. I've been able to find a TON about sole bruises, but that isn't his issue. What do you guys think? I respect my vet, but I also believe it's called "practicing" veterinary medicine for a reason. They are not gods and there's no way they know all, just more than most people. I hope that doesn't come across badly, but I just won't accept that nothing is causing it and it's just something I'm going to have to live with.

I can take some photos of the hooves tomorrow, if that would help you guys understand the problem that I'm looking at. If you want to see them, would you like photos of just the hoof wall or would you like to see the soles too? He was just 'trimmed' (rasped) on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read all the posts, but with all the problems we have had here, couldn't get anyone to come even for our saddle horses. And the few we did get to come out did a terrible job. We learned to trim barefoot because of our mustang first, now we do all our horses. I do the minis, they either would not do the minis, or ruined their hooves. I buy from Ozark and just got a new DVD form them that gave me a tip for balancing the heels better. I rasp all every 4 weeks, the trick to the barfoot movement for large horses. I also learned a lot from Pete Ramey's book, website, and www.hoofrehab.com or any other site about barefoot trim. I have a master farrier friend form my online horse club who live in Virginia and I send pictures and he gives me advice. I have found that his advice seems to coincide with my gut feelings. I have been able to rehab two minis now, both had never been trimmed and are doing excellent and my vet is very happy with their care and trims.

I had super difficulty with my foal, the vet and his farrier kept insisting she was fine and didn't need a trim. I finally got on here, and with help posted pictures and just like I thought she was way too long. She was born overdue so she had long hooves at birth. Some kind breeders helped me immensely with her trims and she is fine now. I couldn't have done this without help from Lil Beginnings members.

I do my own in the winter. It's cooler. I can SIT under my pony and do him. he's actually better for me, than my farrier.

I leave the farrier work to show season, hot weather, or if I am putting on shoes.

Back