sanding feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
Just read a topic here where someone said they use their Double K clippers to sand horses feet. Would someone please explain how this is done? thanks

You can buy the sanding attachment with replaceable sanding disks. You remove the clipper handpiece and replace it with the sanding attachment. This works really great to sand hoofs at horse shows.

I assume that they are referring to sanding the outside of the hoof to clean and smooth it before putting on polish for show. However, you must be very careful when using it as the walls of their feet are not thick as a big horse and you can do a bad oops. I use several grades of sandpaper to very carefully smooth the hoof walls of my guy with the white feet after washing and he gets sensative to even me using sandpaper.

There is a sanding wheel attachment for the Double K's. You can do the same thing with a drill and fine sanding wheel sold at hardward stores. It's used to smooth out the outside hoof wall ridges and bumps, making the hoof polish smoother and gives a more finished appearance. I've also used it to very carefully take down some heel or to gently trim a foal instead of using a rasp.

Surprisingly, the horses don't seem to mind it at all

Last edited by a moderator:
You must use a great deal of caution when doing these procedures. It goes fast and can get hot from the sanding action. In fact, the heat may be more noticeable to them than anythng else about it.....use care.

Wanted to add, if you do this while the feet are wet, you can take off too much very quickly as the feet are softer. I always sand the feet before bathing.

You can also sand them by hand with a sanding block, or a bit of sand paper wrapped around some wood, but it's a long hard process.

I've always wondered...

Does anyone here ever use a power buffer -- the sort used to buff oxidation out of automotive paint? This device is similar to a sander, but uses a chamois or much less abrasive material than sandpaper, so it would remove hoof wall in finer increments than a sander -- somwhat like buffing your fingernails with a power tool. Obviously, caution would still be needed, but it seems a bit safer than a sander.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that would take the ridges and bumps out. Plus the sanding wheels are only about 1" wide, and don't get into the ankle fetlock areas.

Latest posts

Back