who all stil cans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of shredding it and putting it in muffin tins to get portions frozen; that would be nice for meatloafs and such.
This is a great way to use all those squash! I put squash in so many things! Quick breads that call for apples, enchiladas, meat loaf, soups or stews next winter, spaghetti... I've been freezing mine in the muffin tins and it works great. I don't know about freezing it breaded; we have been on low-fat diets for a while and I haven't breaded/fried anything in a long time.

Sliced squash is also good sauteed in olive oil with garlic salt on it. My non-squash husband will even eat a few pieces of squash cooked this way.

What I do with my okra is slice it into 1/4" pieces, lay it on a greased (Pam) cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt, and bake at a low heat--250 or so--for an hour or longer if you want it crisper. It is like eating popcorn. Our home economist showed us this way. You can freeze it after you take it out of the oven and then use it in soups later. You could probably even bread it and fry it later. Maybe leave the garlic salt off, though...

I have some pretty Fresno peppers and I'm going to try a batch of hot pepper jelly. The batch I tried a couple of years ago didn't turn out well and I thought I'd die making it. It took me several days to recover from working with the hot peppers!

I saw a good way to freeze squash: grate it into muffin tins then freeze. After it's frozen you pop them into a large freezer bag; then you can take them out as individual servings. That works much better than trying to work with a giant frozen blob of squash.
Thank you for this tip Marsha I did my Zucchini this way yesterday, it'll be a wonderful time saver later on this winter when I want to make some bread with it!

Ok, here is my favorite: sundried tomatoes. Learned this from the year I had a bumper crop of cherry and grape tomatoes. Forget the sun. Forget the cheese cloth. You make them in the oven. Only do this when you are going to be home for a few days as it takes anywhere from 18 hours to a couple of days. You need lots of tomatoes as they are going to shockingly shrink! Also some sea salt and some wire racks to bake on. Roma tomatoes also work well because they are less juicy and more meaty. Cut the little tomatoes in halves or thirds. Cut the romas in similar size chunks. Place on wire racks on your countertop. Sprinkle with sea salt. Turn your oven on the low, real low, the lowest setting you can get. Place the racks in the oven. It make take a full day, even two. You will know when they are ready because they will be leathery, not quite crunchy. Enjoy! Although I love to cook with them, people tend to eat them like snack food, and then they are gone!
default_wink.png

I'm in the middle of the plaints and believe me, all the farmer's wives here still can a LOT! Everything from beans and peas, to tomatoes, salsa, pickles, even canned meat (especially venison, for those who hunt deer). Definately NOT a lost skill around here!

I can or freeze everything we grow, and we grow alot. Someone asked about freezing corn, this is how I do it and it always tastes freash. After it is picked I cut off the top, you know the silks sticking up and any part that is brown, also cut off the bottom, I don't blanch, just put it in a feezer bag, husks and all, get as much air out as possable and freeze. When I'm ready to cook, I soak the bag in cool water, then I can shell it, eat it on the cob or cut it off for soups, whatever. I now it sound unsanitary, but it works.

I put up around 50 jars every year of roma tomatoes, and green beans. Plus limas, peas, evrything. I make my own jams and jellies and have won many times at the fair. My salsa is to die for, and all the ingreadients are grown here on the farm.

The best book ever is the Ball book of canning. Well worth the cost.

You know, I'm going to be referring back to this thread. I want to plant a garden, but we also have cherry, apple, peach, plum and a pomegranted (sp? ... not supposed to work here, but ours thrives, it's surrounded by house on 2 sides and near an old well). I think it would be something I'd enjoy, and H also, from the different aspects of growing, harvesting and canning.

OK -- many of us are thinking of gardening -- at least the SUN is shining here today!! WoooHoooo.

I used to can a LOT, then kids grew and moved. Still canned some but, after hubby passed and I was home alone it was just easier to freeze for only me. Didn't even do a garden, just bought from locals, etc. Fiddled with a few plants here and there, smaller garden, etc. and THIS year I hope to get back into more gardening, canning, etc. The chickens and Guineas will clean up any extras. LOL

Seeds are here, ready to start plants and am looking for a tiller I can pull with the mower......wooowooo what a cost. Will probably wrestle the large tiller I already have -- rear tine, etc. but, still takes some muscle. But, check craigslist every day hoping for a real deal. Will pull my canner and jars out in a couple months to be sure they are ready. Thankfully I have a dishwasher for the jars.

I freeze my corn just as Riverrose -- chop both ends and freeze in the hull! It lasts very well, always tastes like just picked and easy to pull back hulls and remove the silks with a small nail brush. Yummy. It's also quick and easy to do when freezing.

Wonder how a team of minis would feel about plowing???
default_whistling.gif
Of course, they DO provide "free" ferfilizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, is this an appropriate thread to ask questions about gardens? Gardening?

I live on acreage that is leased and we don't know when we will be moving (looking at our own properties now!) and I have a "brown" thumb.

Can you feasibly do container gardening for two people? I know I can do tomatoes and peppers. What other produce could I do in containers that can go with me if we move before we harvest? I like most veggies and fruits - as does my hubby. Right now, we buy at the local markets and at farmers markets when I can go there. I don't can but do freeze. Lost a whole lot of frozen stuff recently when our freezer went out - when it was hot here in NC between cold spells. Slowly restocking our freezer - have way too much quick, ez microwavable foods in it again! and not enough fruits or veggies! and it shows on both my hubby and myself,
default_sad.png

Bess Kelly - my eventual goal was to have our ponies take care of the property that takes care of them. I don't have a plow (yet?) - but the ponies both single and in pairs (currently) pull a disk, and a drag. We have a mower which can be pulled behind the forecart and I'm finally working with 4 ponies to do a 4 abreast hitch. I can handle a 3 abreast hitch by myself - harnessing, running the lines and hitching. Yesterday was my first time working with a 4 abreast and it wasn't so easy and right now, won't be able to do it by myself... I need to put the harrow cart (springtooth harrow) w/ crumbler together and then get ponies to working pulling it... It will work in the paddocks and pastures - not sure could use it in a garden situation as would require much more land area than I'd ever planned on planting!

Corn%2520Planting%2520at%2520Indian%2520Ridge%252004%252009%25202011%2520005.JPG

11apr16ncwhma932.jpg

0515121157.jpg

I changed the above team around and had them driving better when I put Koalah on the outside on the left. Now I'm also working with 2 more ponies that will make a 4 abreast team but the bay tobi mare is uptight/anxious and needs a lot more driving time both alone and as a pair before she will make a reliable 4 abreast or even 3 abreast pulling pony... Here is a pic from yesterday with the 1st 4 abreast ground driving.

13apr15drivFour272.jpg

A 4 abreast hitch of 40" shetlands should be easily able to pull the same amount of weight as a pair of belgians from what I understand... I know that all of our ponies are game and that they don't really understand the word "quit"... They pull well! With the forecart pictured above I can attach a mower, manure spreader, seeder, sprayer and ?? I don't have all these pieces of equipment yet... Also a trailer cart that can be used for any number of things.

I have spoken with a couple of suppliers and can get a small walkbehind plow that either a single or a pair of Shetlands can pull. A B sized mini could also easily do so. Not sure about the A size minis, LOL.

OK, is this an appropriate thread to ask questions about gardens? Gardening?

I live on acreage that is leased and we don't know when we will be moving (looking at our own properties now!) and I have a "brown" thumb.

Can you feasibly do container gardening for two people? I know I can do tomatoes and peppers. What other produce could I do in containers that can go with me if we move before we harvest? I like most veggies and fruits - as does my hubby. Right now, we buy at the local markets and at farmers markets when I can go there. I don't can but do freeze. Lost a whole lot of frozen stuff recently when our freezer went out - when it was hot here in NC between cold spells. Slowly restocking our freezer - have way too much quick, ez microwavable foods in it again! and not enough fruits or veggies! and it shows on both my hubby and myself,
default_sad.png
You can grow most things in containers if they are deep enough. Lettuce is great ( bonus is you can move it if it is too sunny and hot to a shadier spot), carrots, radishes,squash - summer or winter (altho it needs a pretty big container), I grow all of my tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in containers. I've grown corn in a container but it isn't really an effective use of space and ditto with peas and beans. It can be done but its hard to grow enough to make it worth while in a container. The important things to remember with containers is water (make sure it drains well and water often, don't let it dry out or drown) and in hot climates small containers will cook the plants roots in full sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I love the "pony plow" efforts.
default_worshippy.gif
Looks like fun (for the driver, anyway). I remember Nellie, my grandads plough mare, quite fondly. And climbing up the harness to sit on her back when we were done. Hugging her every chance I got.

Most of my guys are the small A's.......I used to specialize in the <28", so very few of my herd is over 30". Not that they don't have the heart of a 16 hand but, alas, not the weight. Lillington is about 4 hrs from me . Nice area.

In my prev post I also mentioned the pull tiller........and while I want one of the Dr Roto-Hogs, at $2500 it is pricy. The Agri-Fab was next in line and in the $1300 range but, had some issues -- plus did NOT come with the remote adjustment capability, hydraulic lifts, electric start (yes, I want it all!). BUT on CL I watched as several of them came up for sale, to go almost at once. Last week I look and find on list at 750 about an hr prior. I immediately replied and offered 600.....
default_pray.gif
...willing to pay the 750 if need be. He said YES!! I am now the happy owner of that rascal which turned out to have never been used! He bought to make wildlife plots at his farm near Lexington, VA, where a neighbor offered to loan a faster, heavier rig so he never took it there. After almost 2 yrs, he decided to sell. Of course it has rained here 2X since I got it but, can't do that forever. So, I'm ready to rip up the garden now. Woooweee. Rarely do I have this type luck.

Oh, my minis are much happier than I am.....
default_whistling.gif
I only have 2 broke to drive, father & daughter, both 27" and dad is 29 y/o.

Yep, the tiller is a good choice. I am STILL saving for the DR one, I know the xtras will be needed before long -- just easier! I'm finding as my age goes up so does the worth of such handling helpers. Also find I want trees/bushes, etc. much further along than the little (less expensive) 3' length of a switch with 10 leaves. I want that rascal blooming and bearing fruit right now! Just don't have the time and patience for 5-10 yrs of waiting anymore.
default_frusty.gif

Thought I would bump this thread up. I just finished canning spring peas, put up 30 jars they vary from pint to quart size. Since there are now only three of us, hubby, farm help and myself I can use the pints for dinner side and the quarts to make soup, love pea soup in the winter. I'm in the process of making zuccinni bread, also fried as dinner sides and the other night sauted in olive oil.

They are saying on the news that fruit and veggies are going to rise in price because of the drought in California. If that is true you gardeners get busy, and please share your canning recipes.

Latest posts

Back