Skin Problem (Eqyss Microtek)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
My mare Spring had two spots on her neck that lost hair and were a bit raw looking, I e-mailed my vet photos and got her okay to treat with the Microtek spray. She was thinking it was a reaction to bug bites. I washed the spots really well with the Microtek shampoo, and I have been spraying it once or twice a day with the Microtek spray for the past week. It looks better, as in it's not raw anymore, and the hair is starting to come back, but now her skin is peeling, all the way down her chest, which wasn't affected before.

Have you ever had a horse that's skin "peeled" after using the Microtek spray? I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else experienced this or anything like it before I go. I've always had lots of success with "mysterious" skin conditions & Microtek, but I never had this occur when using it!

Here are the photos:

Spring.skin-336x245.jpg

Spring.skin2-299x405.jpg

Spring.skin3-302x408.jpg

That will some times happen if the skin has a fungus infection of some kind. Sometimes the infection is all over but you don't see it until you treat the part you can, get some of the treatment in other areas, if that makes any sense?

Had that happen to that rescue I took in last year.

Good luck!!

I know if you use iodine with Microtek it will cause a burn.

But it looks like its healing, is the skin under it smooth? If so then its healing. If not might need some more spraying of the microtek.

We purchased the Micotel Jel. Same thing happened. It was a foal and it was all the hair on his forehead. The vet said it was a rub spot, no fungus, but he had found that that product was harsh. But what we use now is the super water. LOL. The Vetrycin Spay.

I didn't use iodine on it, because I know they are not supposed to mix. Only other thing on it before I washed with Microtek shampoo was triple antibiotic ointment.

Ellen-thanks, I had no idea it could be harsh. I've never had a problem with it before, but I always sprayed lightly before this because it was cold/cooler outside, this time I was really soaking it. I guess I used too much!

My vet suggested I use Microtek spray on Cowboy the spring of his yearling year. He had a bit of fungus on one ear and on his neck. I used it only one time. It burned his skin and a large area of skin sloughed off. I was afraid his ear was permanently damaged.

I used it exactly according to directions.

I've been afraid to use their products since then and that was in '98.

Charlotte

I wonder if some horses are sensetive to Microtek. I've never used it on this particular mare before (that I remember), but I know I've used it on others with no problems. Interesting, learn something new everyday!

I've used it for several years (spray) and have never had any problems. In fact, I'm using it right now on an older horse with rain rot and it's clearing it up quite nicely. I wonder if some horses are sensitive to the product?

Liz R.

I've used it a couple of times on one horse who had a little rain rot on her back, and she always acts like it stings, so I don't use it any more. Now I come to think of it, I used it on another horses legs years ago and he always hated it too. I've never had a skin reaction to it like that, but it definitely makes my guys uncomfortable
default_unsure.png

I agree with Ellen - the best product I've found in a long time is Veterycin spray. Absolutely safe (you can even spray it in the eyes), non toxic, non antibiotic, and it works on almost everything!

Jan

Latest posts

Back