Pack saddles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele80906

Reaction score
default_rolleyes.gif
I know this sounds a little crazy but has anyone here ever considered hiking with your mini? I am going to with mine and my question is, anyone bought a set of packs that work? My friend found one in Ozark Mountain I am considering. Thank you in advance for your responses. Michele, Colorado

I've looked at those, too.

I usually walk with mine several times a week. I put the harness saddle on and hang grocery sacks from the terrets. This works pretty well. We pick up litter that way. The saddle harness I use has a little breast collar and a crupper. This keeps the load on better. You'd have to keep a pack saddle evenly weighted on both sides, I think, to use it. If you were actually on a hike, and emptied the water bottles, you might be able to put trail rocks in the other side to keep it even.

Horses do not generally like "going for walks". They are browsers and don't understand the concept of just walking for the fun of it. It would have to be a job, then stopping to graze or rest would be release from the job.

I'd love to hear about hiking adventures with your horses!

There is a company that makes packs for dogs. Their largest size would fit a mini well I believe. I started to buy a set for my mules but just never did.....

The first photo is the Mountainsmith Dog Pack. Runs from $36-$55. The second photo is the Kelty pack which is the one I was looking at. It runs from $29.95-$55.

Amazon has them:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3400531

51Y4YRVMNBL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

51Lzr6QvK4L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

A friend of mine pack with her GOATS.

She has some beautiful (GOAT) pack saddles and I have considered trying them on my minis. Her largest goat is probably 2 " taller than my tallest mini but seems to be slightly narrower.

I would be interested in hearing about your adventures. Let me know how it goes. I think it would be fun to pack a picnic and go for a long walk to a meadow where the horse could graze while you picnic. Or pack a tent and camping supplies on the horse and go backwoods camping. It sounds relaxing.

I remember reading about a place that offered over-night hiking tours that used several miniatures in pack saddles. I thought at the time, and still do...that was a super idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions. This group is always full of great information. The one I am looking at purchasing in Ozark Mountain has a crupper and a chest piece made out of nylon and the packs on both sides with velcro enclosures. I am thinking about going ahead and getting this one and if I don't care for the nylon, taking it to my leather man and having him make them out of leather. I am not a big nylon fan because of rubbing. I am going to use my pads from my old harness and maybe my back band. I rode horses in the high mountains of Colorado for over 30 years and I am sure my mini can hike these trails as well as my horses did. In fact, I belonged to the Back Country Horsemen of Colorado and we worked on trails and volunteered for the Forest Service and BLM. We did lots of packing in of tools and chain saws. I do know people who have hiked with dogs, goats and llamas...no reason why a mini can't do it. As far as not liking to go out for walks...gosh...my mini sure does...and he knows not to keep looking at grass and stuff. You know...people packed on mules and horses in early history. I think those animals learned not to keep grabbing for grass. When it's time to go walking my mini comes right to me and puts his head in his halter. He knows where he is going. The only other concern I have is finding out if I need to protect his hooves...I will find that out once we get started. I know there is a product called Soul Guard I will try and if that doesn't do it, I know you can purchase boots for the little guys.

I will be sure to let you guys know how it goes if you are interested. I am starting out by hiking the trails by my house and our first order of business is to practice going over creeks. He hasn't done that yet...should be a blast.
default_biggrin.png
Michele, Colorado

I too have been pre-shopping for pack saddles. My husband thinks we should have some on hand in case we should ever have to head out on foot in the event of a natural disaster, terrorist attack, and foremost in HIS mind civil unrest or civil war. His theory is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

My mini goes walking with me on trails, but in some of the rockier places she stumbles (the sharp rocks either give way under her hoof or poke her sole) so I ordered hoofwings for her. I think that will solve the problem of her getting sore or getting a stone bruise. She seems to be getting more use to the rocks while I'm waiting for the boots though. I live at the base of the Appalachian Mountains - lots a rocks.

Shari, thanks for the AWESOME link!!
default_aktion033.gif
I've wanted a nice pannier set for years and found a few online but didn't know if they'd fit the minis or not and they were "seriously priced" for serious packers. The ones your company has look great!

To the OP, since you have a history of backpacking with horses I'm sure you're aware of how important it is that the load be comfortable.
default_smile.png
If you plan on doing more than packing out trash or taking a couple of sandwiches I would not recommend any packing system which puts the entire weight of the load on a narrow harness-style saddle and especially one which features unpadded nylon bags. Anyone who has toted around a load of modern textbooks in a cheap backpack versus a nice one can tell you how much difference it makes! You want that load distributed over a wide area, well-padded and firmly anchored.

If you are uncomfortable investing in a proper pack saddle, I would get a mini-sized Western saddle and then put a set of big horse saddle bags over the seat and proceed that way. Anything that will comfortably distribute the load!

My injured mini much prefers being a driving horse but is still thrilled to get out for a walk in new places. He will happily lead me down the trail, always in a hurry to see what's around the next bend. That may be his future if he doesn't get back to driving!
default_rolleyes.gif
I think as long as he has a job he will be happy and it sure beats picking up dog poop.
default_laugh.png

Leia

I live in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado...lol..so lots of rocks. I am of course conditioning my little guy right now walking quite a few miles a day on gravel roads and hiking in my area...lots of rocks. I am going to try using Soul Guard before we head out and carry some Gorilla tape with me just in case. I have read about the hoofwings, so let me know how they work for you as I would be highly interested just in case. Michele, Colorado

My mini goes walking with me on trails, but in some of the rockier places she stumbles (the sharp rocks either give way under her hoof or poke her sole) so I ordered hoofwings for her. I think that will solve the problem of her getting sore or getting a stone bruise. She seems to be getting more use to the rocks while I'm waiting for the boots though. I live at the base of the Appalachian Mountains - lots a rocks.

Yes, I am most aware of pack distribution....you learn that after many miles of trail...even with packs behind a saddle. I am very motivated at the present to pack with my mini as after my accident this fall with my mini and an entire winter trying to start him all over in the cart I am back to square nothing as he is continuing to try and buck and kick the cart. After lots of thought and much input from people who train to drive I am moving on with him to something else...I like my animals having some sort of job to do...I don't like them just standing around in their pens being bored. That includes my dogs as they go to work and hike with me also.
default_biggrin.png
So, since hiking is big in my life, I figure Scotty can just pack my fish out of the mountains..haha. He's a great little guy, loves to be around his human folk...not his fault something scared him or that he isn't going to make a cart horse. Michele

My injured mini much prefers being a driving horse but is still thrilled to get out for a walk in new places. He will happily lead me down the trail, always in a hurry to see what's around the next bend. That may be his future if he doesn't get back to driving!
default_rolleyes.gif
I think as long as he has a job he will be happy and it sure beats picking up dog poop.
default_laugh.png

Maggie is 33 1/2" tall and Theia is 35 1/2" tall. I have a wooden Saw buck but I like they way that metal one is built. I also have a custom made pad for the sawbuck. Is a wonderful pad. They also sell hanging scales that would work perfect for mini's, to make sure your packs are even in weight.

The folks on that link are great to work with, they can custom make anything you want. At least they did when I was ordering things from them.

Yes of course! My stallion Nicky was practically raised hiking with my late and beloved German Shepherd Tracey on the old logging trails. We would pack water and sometimes a lunch or at the very least Gatorade. My gosh we were all so muscled and had such fun!

For Nicky, I used one of the kids old school back packs and Tracey had a canine version of just what you are looking for from Petco. They can be adjusted to fit minis too.

Bring a flare gun or one of those air sirens you can get at Walmart Sports Dept for safety too.

We have a wooden pack saddle made by LB member JO~* a few years back. I have no idea if she is still making them, but it is VERY nice. It looks like this item http://www.northwestpackgoats.com/Images/FSADDLE.JPG, but her contouring on the sideboardsds is nicer.

We've used balanced market bags with it...which means we have to take two bottles of wine -- darn! I'd love to get some of the packs on the goat site -- thanks, Shari!

All four of our horses love going for walks, and none are grass snatchers.

NW people -- I think in addition to our beach drives, we need to schedule hiking and camping at Stubb-Stewart State Park, with its horse camping and great trails.

I hadn't thought about packing with minis, but wow, it sure looks like a lot of fun! And seems like no reason they can't do it just like the big horses, goats, and dogs.
default_biggrin.png

"Bring a flare gun or one of those air sirens you can get at Walmart Sports Dept for safety too."

default_biggrin.png
Actually....I have some great "safety" equipment. A 38 special..concealed and permitted but quick to grab and bear spray that shoots out to 40', grizzly tested, right on my belt. I don't go out anywhere in the back country without being armed. There was another message board I was on that just had this very discussion about weapons and carting...oh boy...got into a few heated/political discussions. I don't talk politics when it comes to my and my family's safety...no one around me would know I carry and I want it that way. I practice shooting once a week and know I can draw my weapon when I need to. Where I live is very rural and we have about every predator you can think of...and you never know about the 2 legged ones. I had an encounter back when I was riding the trails with an older gentleman, a friend of mine and I was sure glad he was carrying after an incident on the trail. Made up my mind then that I would never go unprotected again myself. Anyway, sure glad to know I am not the only one that is going to hike and pack with my mini. Thanks again. Michele

Back