Terramycin ophthalmic ointment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Spoke Ranch

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've been trying to replenish our farm supplies and like to have a couple tubes of Terramycin ointment on hand especially during fly season. I’ve had an order in to a supplier since August 09 and received an e-mail from them yesterday they no longer carry it. I did a search on the net and found a few locations that carry Terramycin, but now a prescription is needed.

Does anyone know of an alternate source for Terramycin or a product equivalent that can be safely used in the eyes without the need of a prescription?

Your help is appreciated.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

default_saludando.gif
Hi Dawn,

I don't know if it varies by state but I get mine at TSC. No prescription has ever been needed. If you can't find it anywhere let me know and I will be glad to pick up a couple of extra tubes and mail it to ya. I learned the hard way to NEVER be without it. For some reason, they never have a big supply on hand but always have a few tubes. Seems like I have also seen it in the valley vet catalog? Or Jeffers? Let me know if I can help.

Missy

Tractor supply carries it (usually behind the service desk, it seems to walk off otherwise,at least in stores around here). I think one of the cheapest suppliers is Jeffers.

If you can't find it in the equine section, try the small animal section (cats/dogs).

No Rx needed, my supply store has been out also. This happened in Arizona about 10 years ago or there abouts, manufacturers had problems.

Try Vetericyn. This is like a miracle product, new and endorsed by the best in the horse industry. I got some and it completely healed an abscess we had been fighting and treating with the vet for 5 weeks with soakings, bandaging, boots, salves, draws, antibiotics. You name it, any and everything, it was huge at the coronet line, slow to heal in wet snow and muddy clay soil here. I got Vetericyn, sprayed it on 2 X daily and it healed from the inside out and closed in 3 days! Then last week my indoor only cat got ringworm YUCK! I had never dealt with this, vet said it came in on shoes from stray cats outside probably, and being a senior cat she was susceptible. I tried the creams he gave and for 4 days not much improvement, got out the Vetericyn and in two days it is clearing up. It is safe for all animals, safe in the eye, mouth, will not sting, stain. If you don't believe me go to their website, they have all the information, and a money back guarantee. I will never fight to get Terramycin in the eye again! My minis get hay i their eyes in summer with the winds and dryness here, I will use the Veterycin.

You don't need a perscription for it here. It is just that it is out of stock right now. I was told until March when they start making it again. IDK. I can't figure why they would not make it year round.

terramycin is made by pfizer... i work at a vet's office and i purchase all of the medicine, and right now pfizer is out of stock on terramycin... they have not given a date it would be back in stock. jeffers is sold out. i tried them hoping they would have extra we could buy to use at the clinic but they were sold out... good luck.

I beleive I saw this for sale on ebay of all places. Okay, yes, I just checked and there is a good amount of it on there. Just put terramycin or eye ointment in the search box.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again everybody:

Missy that is so kind of you to offer to send a couple tubes of Terramycin to us, but I’m hoping to get this worked out before it comes to having to bother you with it.

I checked Tractor Supply and although they carry Terramycin in their stores they don’t accept internet orders for it. Some of the other places I checked were Valley Vet, Jeffers, and Country Horse and all are on indefinite backorder. It’s good to understand Terramycin is out of stock with the manufacturer, Pfizer, and hopefully they’ll begin producing it again sometime soon.

I placed an order yesterday for Terramycin with shopmedvet.com. and we'll see if it goes through with no further delay. I didn't even think of Ebay as a possible source to find it and I'm glad that’s an option.

rubyviewminis...I’m interested in purchasing a bottle of the Vetericyn, but I’ve been by their website and it’s unclear to me which product is safe to use in the eye. Is it the Bovine eye wash, all of them, or? I really like the idea of a spray bottle approach instead of trying to squeeze antibiotic in the eye without the challenge of trying not to touch the eye. Can someone advise which one to use?

Thanks so much everybody for your help with this.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
All are safe. I use the wound and infection treatment, Clinton Anderson used the same in an expensive weanlings eye when she tore her face extending into the eye. I am using it right now on my poor kitty who got ringworm on her tummy, she is inside only so it must have been on our shoes. I stopped the clotrimazole because it wasn't doing much and left a huge mess. Now on the second day of two times a day and the two spots are really fading. She acts like it is a relief when I spray the Vetericyn. I use an Elizabethan collar to keep her from licking it off. But she has licked it before I could put the collar on with no problems. That is one of the beauties of Vetericyn, it is harmless to all animals including birds, and people. I ordered the Microsyn which is for humans, more stringent FDA trials. My veterinarian knows about it and recommends it, and we use it to sanitize cinches, pads, brushes, ect. I am very skeptical and have tried it everywhere on everything, it is worth every penny believe me. It cleanses and treats, so only one product to use. I got tired last summer of cleaning and applying the Terramycin, because after awhile it is hard to apply, it makes a mess sometimes that other dust and particles stick to, I have used it for 13 + years. I will never go back to it now that I have seen how easy and effective Vetericyn is. Besides, in some cases Terramycin does not work with, I think it was gram negative infections?,. No iffy problems using the Vetericyn. It kills MRSA, so it is very effective. After cleaning the dust off, I am going to spray down my foaling stall with it.

I have peppered the people at their website,and on the No Worries Club reps, and they promptly answer all my questions even on weekends. It seems expensive at $35 a bottle, but it goes so far, and is so effective it is worth it. Non-staining, no odor, cleans wounds, steroid free, antibiotic free, so no resistance build up. It is also no rinse, non toxic, and DOES speed healing. Kills spores, fungi, virus, bacteria. PH neutral, does not sting, will not harm healthy tissue. The website has many videos and so does you tube. I love it.

I AGREE WITH RUBYVIEW, VETERCYN IS GREAT. ONE OF MY MARES GOT A BAD CUT ON HER LEG AND I USED IT ON HER AND SHE HEALED UP VERY QUICKLY. I'VE EVEN USED IT ON ME. I'M PRONE TO SPIDER BITES AND HAD ONE, SPRAYED IT TWICE DAILY AND WAS GONE IN A FEW DAYS. USUALLY IT TAKES WEEKS TO CLEAR THEM UP. BACK TO THE SUBJECT THE PRODUCT DOES WHAT IT SAYS IT WILL DO. YOU CAN SPRAY IN EYES, EARS, MOUTH AND ITS GOOD. WELL WORTH THE READ.

OK, I've decided to give the Vetericyn a go and have an order placed for it. Thanks everyone for all your help.
default_smile.png

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back