Rescued Mini From Auction Yesterday!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondRio

Reaction score
So here is the mini the rescue pulled from the Unadilla auction yesterday, my barn owner is currently fostering him. He is a stud, im not sure of his age, he is a total sweetheart!! Its hard to tell but under all that hair he is literally a walking skeleton! It is so sad!! We're going to clip him soon and see whats going on under all of that hair!! We're going to make an appointment soon to get him cut!

I have to say I am seriously thinking of adopting him! What do you guys think?? He's so sweet and he needs a forever home!

I also need help thinking of names, right now we're all just calling him Woolly, or woolly Mamouth.

Here he is! And no there aren't any weird bumps on his face, thats just how thick his hair is!

WoolyMamouthMini001.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini002.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini003.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini004.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini005.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini006.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini007.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini008.jpg

Poor guy! I'm so glad he's in a good place now--kudos to you for giving him a second chance at the life he deserves! For a name, how about Manny like the wooly mammoth from Ice Age?

Bless you for rescuing this little fellow:)

I would suggest waiting, however, on clipping his hair off until the weather warms up substantially. He will need his hair to conserve body heat in this cold weather, especially with him being so underweight.

Keep us posted on his progress!
default_smile.png

Poor sweet little boy, I'll bet he's happy to be in a better place where he's getting something to eat & has someone to love him. Even with his long hair you can see he's very thin, and I know he'll be even thinner than he looks when you put hands on him. I can never understand how people can starve their animals that way.

I too would wait a bit to clip him--don't worry about seeing what is under that hair until he starts putting on some weight and the weather warms up a bit more.

If you can take him on, by all means go for it--I'm sure he would be happy if his forever home could be with you!

I'm of no help with a name tonight--can't think of a thing!
default_sad.png

Bless you for taking him in! He looks like a cutie pie. I would also wait to clip him until it's warmer and he has more meat on his bones. His poor feet look so long! I like Manny as a name!!
default_smile.png
I'd also have the vet look at him and check him for worms....maybe also geld him down the line??

Thank you for saving him! He looks like a little guy! How tall is he?
default_smile.png

I agree with the others in waiting to clip him until it's much warmer. If he isn't cold, he can use his calories to gain weight instead of keeping warm. Being cold costs calories.

Good luck with him!
default_smile.png

It really breaks my heart to see what some people allow to happen to innocent animals. Looks like he is in a safe place now and I am sure he will soon be thriving in your care. Best wishes to both of you.

Poor little guy thank you for saving this guy, hate how people can do that to an innocent creature.

he looks pretty sad , poor little guy. I look forward to seeing his sweet face when he has a bit of love put back into him.
default_wub.png

Oh - He looks sooooo sad! Poor little guy. He has such a look of hoplessness. How could anyone ever let such a precious fellow get in this kind of condition!!

I do think YES, you should adopt him - he needs lots of love and groceries!

I agree about waiting to clip him until it warms up - I would also be worried about having him gelded when he is in such poor shape. Your vet will know what would be the best thing to do.

It will be great to watch him come back and to see a spark in his pretty eyes.

I think a name will come to you as you spend time with him and learn more about him.

Geez! That is heart breaking. I agree on retaining his hair for warmth. The one thing I would definitely do is get his teeth checked. If he can't chew the food it will make it harder for him to put the weight on. I'm more curious about his age at this point. Hard to tell in that awful condition. Once he is back to health he could be a very cute and spunky little guy and a great friend and pasture buddy for your other little guy. I hope you decide to keep him and give him that forever loving home.

Bless you for saving this little guy... I hope that hope comes back into his eyes if he learns that he can stay forever...

Good for you (and the barn owner) for taking him in.......... I bet with only a few weeks of decent food, he's going to look completely different!
default_wub.png

I think you should call him "Nick," because you saved him just in the 'nick' of time. How wonderful that you may be able to foster him yourself. Congratulations on saving this boy.

Congratulations on saving this little boy
default_aktion033.gif
Maybe you should call him "Justin"......you saved him "Just in time" ......

So theres a bit of a problem
default_sad.png
it turns out that a different rescue bought him, not the rescue I volunteer for! I just assumed it was them cause the other rescue is in pa and has never put a horse/pony at my barn for fostering before.

I am trying to get a hold of the lady who runs that rescue about adopting him! I am so in love it would break my heart to lose him

Here are some pictures from today!

WoolyMamouthMini018.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini017.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini016.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini015.jpg

WoolyMamouthMini014.jpg

Awww, so glad he was rescued and I hope you get to adopt him.

I fight to keep my 2 minis from being overweight and it seems to me that I don't feed them much, so I just can not grasp how anyone could let an innocent animal suffer like that.

At least he is in good hands now!!

Latest posts

Back