A Stud Raffle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
HI! Hope I can post this

So I was thinking of a fun way to help with funds for the club that I am a member with and came up with a stud raffle for spring of 2010. I figured since I dont have a lot of mares to be bred to my boy, and everyone fell in love with his 09 filly, and admires him at the shows, I figured I would give the other club members a oppertunity to have one of their special mares bred to him through a club stud raffle.

The club is having a meeting this Saturday, and would like to present this to them and offer this fun raffle to them with some detail. I have never done a raffle or a outside breeding before and figured I would ask for your help here...

Here are some of the things I came up with: All $$$ made from the raffle would be donated to the club to help with funds for other raffles, shows, ribbons and exct... All mares must be breeding sound, clean cultured, heath certificated, must be a member to enter, mare must be at least A or R or both reg (up to date), and I will offer free mare care, LFG. All I ask is that owner provide their own food so not to disrupt the mares feeding program. I do have a detailed stud contract that I will have mares owner(s) sign and just wave the stud fee as this would be a raffle.

Also how much do you think I should ask for a reasonable price per ticket?

My stud is a A/R buckskin roan King Supreme son

show record is local both fun & R shows with many wins

hes very correct and is a proven sire

a AWESOME pedigree

THANKS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! You really covered all of your bases! Porvided that your contract includes a clause freeing you from liability should be mare be injured while in your care, it sounds like you have it all together. I'd buy a chance, if only I had a mare.
default_biggrin.png

I wonder if you may want to rethink the free mare care. What if you get a mare in that just won't settle and you have her there all summer? Perhaps offer 30 days free mare care?

Sounds like a good way to get some money for your club, hope it works out!
default_smile.png

I do have a detailed stud contract for 30 day free mare care so that is covered... BUT I only have home owners insurance on my minis. But if my detailed stud contract says that I am not lieable for any damages to either mare or foal in a resault of a injury or death and the mare owner signs this knowing it, would that be ok and hold up for my safty?

If someone can, I could send a copy of my stud contract for you to look over and would like to hear your opinion on what ya think if it looks professional and covers all areas needed. THANKS!

I would not count on that holding up if something bad happened to a visiting mare and/or foal--depending of course on what happened--but the mare owner could claim that you were negligent in care and still take you to court. I know that if/when I sign a waiver, I do so on the assumption that if some accident befalls me or my horses it is just that, an accident. However, if something happened due to serious negligence on the part of someone--be it show management or another exhibitor at a show, or the stallion owner at a breeding facility--and the "accident" was the result of some really stupid action on the part of some party other than myself--I would be consulting with an attorney to see if I had any recourse against that person. I do not sign a waiver with the intention of excusing anyone and everyone from a loss resulting from negligence. I'm quite certain there are many others who look at it the same way, and I know there are a lot of people out there who are much more inclined to sue than I would be!

Personally I would ask that the mare owner have insurance on the mare (and foal if the mare has one at side) and I would make sure that I am properly insured so that if something does happen to someone else's horse that is in my care, I am protected from a lawsuit.

First you say you have "homeowners"......is this a farm policy? Most insurance companies do not favor horses BUT, some homeowners will cover some degree of liability for your guest by your horse.

Also, most will not cover outside horse activity, such as "care & custody". Farm policies can have this added as a rider or encdorsement -- depending on what you actually have covered now.

IF the bidder has Farm coverage, they can get a rider to cover their animals while at your farm to a degree. You really need to talk with your agent about what you have available.

This is a wonderful way to help the clubs, so don't let this get in the way -- just cover your buttress.
default_biggrin.png
While most of your club members would not create a problem, and you would not cause one, sometimes things happen! I can say that in the limited outside breeding I have done in the past 10 years, I actually had a mare die in my barn
default_new_shocked.gif
Necropsy showed it was an anuerism (sp) and she was in no way injured, etc. BUT, to do an 11PM barn check and all is well but, 6AM feeding finds mare on side and cold
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
is a bad way to start the day!

There were no lawsuits, etc., just some very sad people. Oh, be sure the contract states how long after confirmation of conception until they pick up. This particular mare had been waiting 2 months since they were advised and had not come for her yet. Yes, I have farm policy with "care & custody" clause.

Thanks for all the info but it is a no go. The club is not able to do this type of thing due to legal issues but thought it would be a good ideal anyway. oh-well...
default_no.gif
THANKS!

Latest posts

Back