hoof separation--***PHOTOS added page 3***

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see hoof separation like the kind you're describing occasionally, usually when it's dry in the summer. We trim on our regular 8wk schedule, pick out feet as usual, and they just grow out over the winter when they get packed with snow and ice. Haven't had any problems with lameness at all, so your farrier's advice on this may be sensible to start out with.

Thanks, minglewood. I'll take photos tomorrow--then some will roll their eyes because it's not severe at all. I tell ya, we catch stuff early up here.
default_wink.png
Rosie's been cleaned and peroxided twice today. Even she's rolling her eyes at me. I expect to hear the farrier say it's the fastest he's ever seen a separation fix itself.
default_laugh.png

The pea gravel I put into my paddock really improved and strengthened my guys feet. I don't have flat soles, don't have white line disease and the feet are unbelievably healthy. Just tooting the pea gravel horn again. love it. Bonus in the winter is that you don't get frozen hoof prints to stumble over either. Just pick the poos. great stuff. Getting ready to put in a fresh load before winter.

good luck! took my guys a bit of time to get rid of the "hoof ditch", had to keep up on those long toes, frequent trimming helped so much. Keep us posted! take care
default_rolleyes.gif

Having experienced several cases of white line disease... I have to say that it is NOT the same as white line separation. Obviously, if the disease seeps up the separated white line, you'd have both going on.

Just because the white line is separated, doesn't mean that the bacteria/fungus has worked its way up into the white line. If something does take up residence, then obviously the hoof wall would need to be cut away to expose and treat the affected area.

I understand what you are saying, I would agree with your farrier to keep the edges of her hooves rolled and trimmed nice and compact to prevent stress on the hoof wall to pull it away from the white line.

Good luck,

Andrea

Stomping flies does not cause hoof separation on a healthy hoof, there has to be flare there to begin with and then stomping the flies puts extra stress on the flared part thus causing separation to worsen.

Hey Karla, I have to agree with Frankie and Milo. If you had a true hoof/wall separation it should not be taken lightly as it is a warning that something is going on. I cannot imagine stomping flies would cause that like Milo explained. I don't know what you have but I have had a few very true hoof / wall separations back in Florida where white line problems ran rappant for a while and it was treated with a number of things but mostly rebriding and using methionine in combination with oral meds. Can you see a flare like Milo is pointing out? Flares are easy to see. If so, then you do have a situation and that flare should be tended too and the dead tissue hauled out of it.

My quarter horse Sonny also had a bout with hoof/wall separation a few years ago from a laminitis attack that I was able to stop in its tracks with a ton of emergency treatment. He has the worlds worst feet in the world anyhow and this just added to the mess. He had some nasty separation and flares that came on him fast that we were successful in getting back in control but it took some doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I just wanted to add, that I to have been struggling with this problem this summer to.

Someone suggested Remission for faster, stronger new hoof growth. I've had a colt on it for about 3 weeks now, (his feet would not grow and he also had the problem you described) which I was told is NOT White Line disease, by a certified farrier (also was told White Line disease is highly contagious and all property that horses are on must be treated with Lime to get ride of it). He just had his hooves trimmed today and I was amazed at the difference in his feet. They were 90% better and was able to actually trim some hoof off and one more trim should have them back to normal.
default_smile.png

So I highly recommend REMISSION for anyone who is having hoof problems. GREAT STUFF

Good luck and hope you get it under control.

Wow! The farrier said on Monday Rosie had some separation on all four hooves, but Mark and I had only really noticed it on two. I took these photos just now and there's already a huge improvement!! Oh happiness!
default_risa8.gif

These start at the front left and work back and around. There's still some detection of it... but it's looking great!
default_biggrin.png

I can see it on the right side of several of these photos.

f035fe50.jpg

33207813.jpg

8936c128.jpg

859c7189.jpg

windhaven--thanks for the recommendation of Remission. Right now my horses' hooves grow very fast! But, if I ever need them to grow faster--I'll get that stuff.
default_smile.png

My farrier is the most requested guy in this area. He's been doing this a long time--and is certified. I'd never trust anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! The farrier said on Monday Rosie had some separation on all four hooves, but Mark and I had only really noticed it on two. I took these photos just now and there's already a huge improvement!! Oh happiness!
default_risa8.gif

These start at the front left and work back and around. There's still some detection of it... but it's looking great!
default_biggrin.png

I can see it on the right side of several of these photos.

f035fe50.jpg

33207813.jpg

8936c128.jpg

859c7189.jpg

windhaven--thanks for the recommendation of Remission. Right now my horses' hooves grow very fast! But, if I ever need them to grow faster--I'll get that stuff.
default_smile.png

My farrier is the most requested guy in this area. He's been doing this a long time--and is certified. I'd never trust anyone else.

these hooves look fine (a little long though) a good trim and they will look normal again!!!

Taylor

I enjoyed that article, shorthorsemom. I used to worry about my boys working on the blacktop, but it's never seemed to bother them and I guess it's because they need a hard dry surface sometimes.

I'm going to consider using the pea gravel in their winter shelter.

I know of a mare that has had this problem for some time..

Her owner has her on sandy soil also.

I think the sand with the dampness aggravates it, and keeps it from correcting itself.

Remittion sounds like a good idea to help encourage it to grow out, as you cant trim short enough to remove it.

But it takes owner diligence to keep it in check between trims.

My run-ins have mats in them--it's been dry in there/everywhere for weeks. Plus, she's stalled in a dry place all night. It hasn't rained here in a while--all is dry--but not dusty. The ground is so nice-not hard. Therefore, I can't imagine it has anything to do with the conditions of the ground. That's why flies made more sense. It's been warmer than usual, and I was shocked to see flies bothering them one day--in October!

Now that I've seen just how quickly this condition is correcting, I'm not worried. Attentive, but not worried. We can rasp just a bit every week to keep it in check.

I wouldn't worry at all, Looks like they just need a trim and a little work with a hoof knife.

When my husband saw the photos and then the hooves, he said the photos are misleading--they look like she has a ridge, but there's not one there. I agree. I should take some from the side or even from her standing for you to see--but the important thing is she's doing fine.
default_wink.png

I'll add photos in a week to compare.

I enjoyed that article, shorthorsemom. I used to worry about my boys working on the blacktop, but it's never seemed to bother them and I guess it's because they need a hard dry surface sometimes.
Hi Marsha,

If you ever try pea gravel you will LOVE it. My farrier was skeptical at first when I put it in, and now he is convinced. Says my guys have rock hard feet without dryness, and they have excellent soles with no separation of the white line. I noticed my guys can run over rocks now and never tippy toe. I need to replenish it right now as soon as it stops raining because it sinks down over time, but I start with 4-6 inches of it. I love it in the winter too because it keeps them from creating those frozen hoof prints for me to trip over. My farrier said my guys have some of the best feet no matter what the weather conditions. We don't get thrush and the frogs stay nice and tight and don't need the knife applied to trim them or anything. The pea gravel is 1/2 inch and nice and round. The feet stay clean and don't need picking as often and they stay nice between trims. I just do my paddock where they loaf all night. Sometimes they even like to lay in it stretched out like it is a mattress. It undulates when you first put it in and then it settles. Can't wait to put more in. I am spoiled and I am having to pick out some feet daily right now. My friend put landscaping stuff down under her gravel and hers doesn't sink into the mud. best wishes
default_saludando.gif
PS, my friend that does CDE with her full sized horses does blacktop work with them.

Hi Marsha,

If you ever try pea gravel you will LOVE it. My farrier was skeptical at first when I put it in, and now he is convinced. Says my guys have rock hard feet without dryness, and they have excellent soles with no separation of the white line. I noticed my guys can run over rocks now and never tippy toe. I need to replenish it right now as soon as it stops raining because it sinks down over time, but I start with 4-6 inches of it. I love it in the winter too because it keeps them from creating those frozen hoof prints for me to trip over. My farrier said my guys have some of the best feet no matter what the weather conditions. We don't get thrush and the frogs stay nice and tight and don't need the knife applied to trim them or anything. The pea gravel is 1/2 inch and nice and round. The feet stay clean and don't need picking as often and they stay nice between trims. I just do my paddock where they loaf all night. Sometimes they even like to lay in it stretched out like it is a mattress. It undulates when you first put it in and then it settles. Can't wait to put more in. I am spoiled and I am having to pick out some feet daily right now. My friend put landscaping stuff down under her gravel and hers doesn't sink into the mud. best wishes
default_saludando.gif
PS, my friend that does CDE with her full sized horses does blacktop work with them.
hi

I am glad the pea fravel is working for you!!! just be aware that once the tough sole becomes too thick and needs to be removed your horses might be a little ouchy

Latest posts

Back