What are the Coggins test requirements in your state?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
I just got an email from someone in one of our area driving clubs, stating that effective 4/1/09, it will be a requirement that EVERY horse traveling within NM to shows, exhibitions, in fact to ANY 'gathering of horses', which would mean ANY trail ride, fun drive...ANYWHERE you haul your horse, even when the horse is a 'resident' of the state, to have a current Coggins test. (It also requires a 'proof of ownership', but, specifies that said proof must consist of a NM 'brand inspection'-which now costs $40(or more). I have a STRONG feeling this is somehow 'tied' to NAIS...which I would suggest you research, if you have not already.

My question is, what are the Coggins requirements for the movement of IN-state horses in other states?

Margo

In KY, any time you take your horse down the road you must have a negative coggins and health cert.

As far as I know, this has been a requirement in CT and TX for years.

Every show I've ever been at has required one, regardless of if you're instate or out.

Maine has always required a Coggins test as well. If its a Maine horse and you are in the state of Maine, you only need one every 3 years. Any out of horse shipping into Maine needs one no older then a year old. I know most states I've shipped my Maine horses into have required one within the current year. Coggins papers are a very standard thing up here.

Jen

In Texas, you MUST have a coggins paper on your person anytime your horse is on public land. Its a good thing, year before last a horse a few miles for here tested postive. This test protects my horses on a trail ride or a show because I know the other horses have been tested.

Coggins tests for every horse moving in state has been a requirement in Oklahoma for some years as well if I remember correctly.

There was bill that just got squashed for this year atleast in SC that would require Coggins test on horses come to visit the state within 30 days, health certs within 30 days AND Strangles testing. IF that passes I'll move. Fortunately that was sent for recommittee and is dead for this year, that doesn't mean it won't come back but its baby steps.

Fl you have to have one to step a hoof off your property, or tire if in a trailer.

I don't mind the coggins testing, or the health certs to travel thats been around for years, but strangles testing? Yea right thats just not feasable. I know that health certs aren't really worth the paper they are written on but to me it states that a horse has atleast seen a vet.

Karen

There was bill that just got squashed for this year atleast in SC that would require Coggins test on horses come to visit the state within 30 days, health certs within 30 days AND Strangles testing. IF that passes I'll move. Fortunately that was sent for recommittee and is dead for this year, that doesn't mean it won't come back but its baby steps.

I'm a bit puzzled.
default_unsure.png
Are you saying that if I wanted to take a horse to a show in SC, that I'd be required to have had a Coggins test done less than 30 days prior to the show? I know NC requires a neg. Coggins for any organised gathering of equines, but they feel that one done every year is sufficient.

In NC we get Coggins on every horse we move off the property every year. It is good for 1 year in state.

If we travel to another state, we update the Coggins just in case they are different. I don't mind getting a neg Coggins to travel out of state.

I would not say this is NAIS. I would say it is just like NC government- trying to milk every dime they can to balance the budget. State governments everywhere are in serious financial trouble and are looking to make every bit they can.

Yes this is part of NAIS, their newer push is to get more than 35% OF ALL farms regardless of species of farm animal will have every animal and flocks of birds tagged,and the farm with a NAIS number.

Coggins testing is their strongest point to push the Equine Industry.

Also with this will come the mandatory tracking of your equine movement off your farm, even to walk down the road for a ride or trail ride.

Most vets are oblivious to these new regs. coming down the pipeline - I have talked to my vet two years in a row now and he still has not heard of anything like this. AND his main focus of his business is horses and cows.

Margo --

In VA, I believe you are required to have one dated w/in a year for your horse if your horse will travel on state roads. The police can pull you over and if you do not have one, technically the horse(s) can be confescated. I've never been pulled over but each time I've hauled, it's been to a show or some place where I needed to present a coggins any way.

As for the proof of ownership, I suspect the same as you. That probably is to do with the NAIS, as well as the tightening of the coggins rules.

Side note, someone I trust to know told me there hadn't been a case of EIA in VA in something like 20 years... which is of course what the Coggins test is for.

Jill

I do not believe it is a part of anything. Many states all over the country have had this law in effect for several years now along with a brand cert to show the horse is yours most of the permanant ones have an acutal photo of the horse on them along with all the info

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a part of NAIS. Texas actually requires that EVERY horse within 200 YARDS of another horse must have an annual coggins test. Even if it never leaves the property. Of course, this is impossible to enforce until a horse in the area turns up positive.

What you don't want is mandatory strangles testing. This can get expensive very quickly.

New Mexico is just finally catching up with the majority and since it borders Texas which has EIA cases every year it's a good thing.

Carin would the strangles testing test if the horse had it at that very moment or if the horse ever had it? Usually once the horse has it and will test for it you know something is wrong anyway although I guess maybe towards the tail end of the illness you might not

Carin would the strangles testing test if the horse had it at that very moment or if the horse ever had it? Usually once the horse has it and will test for it you know something is wrong anyway although I guess maybe towards the tail end of the illness you might not
It would test for carrier status. Obviously it would be positive if the horse was already infected, but not if the horse had it and got over it. Carriers can be very costly to a farm because their gutteral (sp?) pouchs would have to be flushed repeatedly until they had 3 negative cultures in a row, plus anytime there is a stressor on the farm they can reinfect the previously unexposed horses. It's good to know if you have a carrier so you can take care of it, but not a good thing if it's a required test for transport or show. It could really hinder your show plans if you come up positive.

Oh, I have no problem with the requirement of Coggins testing. However--how many uncataloged,'repeating' auctions(haul in today, sell tomorrow)-require a (negative) Coggins to accompany the horse, in your states? Here, I have heard, more than once, that it is pretty standard to allow blood to be pulled AFTER the horse has arrived at the auction premises...well, IF it were positive, that would be a bit late, wouldn't it? The whole situation, including 30 day health certificates, is in many ways, hypocritical, IMO.

Shows have routinely required negative Coggins results to accompany arriving horses, everywhere I've been, for quite some years....more recently, including our State Fair horse shows, for all horses, in or out-of-state. That's nothing new.

The Texas requirement is very interesting...so how many breeders with horses in the 100's have gotten a Coggins for each and every one, do you think? A prime example of a 'feel good, sound good' regulation that is essentially meaningless, DUE TO near non-enforceability...but as someone else noted, a good source of additional income for the instigating body. I did read elsewhere on the 'net recently of a state/National? park where you MUST have,not a copy, but your ORIGINAL Coggins test certificate ON YOUR PERSON when riding or driving there....and the 'rangers' seemed to be delighting in stopping people. Now, I'm a believer in following the law, AND in enforcement of same...but by the same token, wonder about such strictness...the ORIGINAL Coggins? The yellow copy is pretty flimsy; wonder how long it'd last when you have to pack it around with you when horseback or driving?? At least, they mean what they say...if I'm told I 'have to have' a Coggins, them someone sure better be paying serious attention to whether I do or not!

So, another question--what does a Coggins cost in your area?

(I'm thinking I might call the Livestock Board, ask if they plan to be 'on site', checking on the paperwork, of those who show up with equines to ride/drive in the state's various parades..would love to hear the answer.)

Margo

Here in TX you must have the original coggins paperwork with you at all times. Even hauling to the vet. And yes, all auctions, fairs, show grounds check for that paper work. The best thing to do is to keep the original in an envelope in your glove box (for trail rides, etc) or in my case since I have several horses that travel, it's in a plastic sheet next to their papers.

It's just a part of horse life here in TX. And like I said on the TX 200 yard law, nobody actually checks/enforces that law UNLESS a horse turns up positive and then everyone in the area has to retest. But if you take the horse off your property you better have that sheet of paper.

Hi! I'm from Mississippi and we need a current coggins (within 12 months) if we are taking our horses off the property. However, that test is only good for the minute the blood is pulled. The horse could get the disease shortly after that blood is pulled. I paid $27 each for the ones I got this year, plus farm call.

Here in Wisconsin you need to have a neg. coggins if you're taking your horse off your property. If you're bringing one into Wisconsin you need to have a neg. coggins and health certificate for within 30 days of bringing the horse into the state.

ETA: The coggins certificate is only good from Jan 1 - Dec 31 of any given year.

AZ has only required one from horses leaving or entering the state for any reason, not within the state.

What a rip off- just my personal opinion - to have to do this every time you move a horse off the farm.

Back