Miniature Therapy Horse Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to know more- we have a few different groups that come to our place and we have been asked to go to other places- which we do on occasion- but it would be really nice to be certified by a group that does specifically horses.

Please keep us up to date.

Tiffany

Just an update, I have put a call into a Horse Insurance Co. to see what the cost of liability insurance would be for a group, will keep you posted. Anyone out there good at creating web pages for this if we can get it going?

I think we also would need a couple of mini owners who have been doing this sort of thing for a while to review the questionaire responses from nursing facilities for recommendation for certification by the group. This would be just for minis and governed by minis. Feedback welcome.

Hey All!!!

i think this is a wonderful idea.

i have a dwarf....when i aquired him, this was my intention from the beginning...to have him be around disabled kids...as they can relate to him being a mini with disabilities.

His name is Sammi...and he is trully the sunshine of my life. Although correcting his has been both challenging and financially difficult, i am doing everything i can to assure Sammi has a good life.

Sammi was almost put down at birth, but after many examinations from the vet, she recommended giving him a chance. And so my friends did...and i can't thank then enough for their decision. Sammi was born last year with really bad conformation...but we are striving each day to make it better.

Sammi has gotten a lot of help and support from Janell in texas who ownes and makes "magic shoes". i can't thank her enough for all her help!

My hopes are that when Sammi is upright enough to be able to walk properly...he will have the job of bringing smiles...not that he hasn't already...

Here is a direct liink to his page....let me know how me and Sammi can help!

http://www.club-mini.com/sammi.htm

Hey All!!!
i think this is a wonderful idea.

i have a dwarf....when i aquired him, this was my intention from the beginning...to have him be around disabled kids...as they can relate to him being a mini with disabilities.

His name is Sammi...and he is trully the sunshine of my life. Although correcting his has been both challenging and financially difficult, i am doing everything i can to assure Sammi has a good life.

Sammi was almost put down at birth, but after many examinations from the vet, she recommended giving him a chance. And so my friends did...and i can't thank then enough for their decision. Sammi was born last year with really bad conformation...but we are striving each day to make it better.

Sammi has gotten a lot of help and support from Janell in texas who ownes and makes "magic shoes". i can't thank her enough for all her help!

My hopes are that when Sammi is upright enough to be able to walk properly...he will have the job of bringing smiles...not that he hasn't already...

Here is a direct liink to his page....let me know how me and Sammi can help!

http://www.club-mini.com/sammi.htm
Sammi would make a good therapy mini when he is better, the smaller minis can have a little portable stall made to wheel them into facilities that have linoleum, like hospitals, to make visits. Hope he gets better to the point he could do this and have a job other than "yard art". Glad to hear from you!

Nancy

Now I'm not trying to be a kiljoy here just voicing my thoughts.

I really do like the thought behind this however I think its a seed that needs a lot of tending to before it can successfully grow.

Personally, I'm concerned about the thought of a mini going to a facility when it may or may not be ready to do so.

If it is a 1st visit and the animal becomes overwhelmed and possibly problematic this could immediately close doors of facilities that are interested but have never done such a thing.

I don't feel the visiting facility should be the one to evaluate a possible therapy team (mini & handler)

It could be like getting on a bus with a driver with no driver's license and being up to his/her passengers to decide whether or not he/she should drive.

The therapy team could be better by being evaluated 1st.

I know one of the biggest problems here may be location and no one official to evaluate.

Well... how about having your own vet and/or farrier help with evaluating possible therapy teams.

Have them fill out forms with their own comments.

After all these are the ones who typically have experience with horses and should have an opinion/idea of what good prospects should be.

Now I'm not trying to be a kiljoy here just voicing my thoughts.I really do like the thought behind this however I think its a seed that needs a lot of tending to before it can successfully grow.

Personally, I'm concerned about the thought of a mini going to a facility when it may or may not be ready to do so.

If it is a 1st visit and the animal becomes overwhelmed and possibly problematic this could immediately close doors of facilities that are interested but have never done such a thing.

I don't feel the visiting facility should be the one to evaluate a possible therapy team (mini & handler)

It could be like getting on a bus with a driver with no driver's license and being up to his/her passengers to decide whether or not he/she should drive.

The therapy team could be better by being evaluated 1st.

I know one of the biggest problems here may be location and no one official to evaluate.

Well... how about having your own vet and/or farrier help with evaluating possible therapy teams.

Have them fill out forms with their own comments.

After all these are the ones who typically have experience with horses and should have an opinion/idea of what good prospects should be.
I totally agree with your thought process, but would add a questionaire from facilities BEFORE an actual certificatoin was given. Obviously, I don't think anyone should just load up a mini without having some education before hand and that could be handled maybe, just thoughts going out on this, by a mentoring process. A mini and handler that has done visits with an excellent safety record teaches or mentors another team. But you have to have the ground people who have been doing visits active in this process and I guess that is where it should start.

Creatures & Kids Creatures & Kids Here in Oklahoma has a very good therapy program for miniature horses. The horses must pass the training and testing to be certified before doing any therapy work.

Charlotte

edited to add....... this page gives the certification test for a miniature horse. certification test

Last edited by a moderator:
Creatures & Kids Creatures & Kids Here in Oklahoma has a very good therapy program for miniature horses. The horses must pass the training and testing to be certified before doing any therapy work.
Charlotte

edited to add....... this page gives the certification test for a miniature horse. certification test
Thanks for that Charlotte. I like a few and don't like a few. I don't believe that a person should hand their horse over to anyone is the one I don't like. Mine have been trained to also turn on forehand and haunces and to sidepass away from feet, wheelchairs etc. This also comes in handy when riding in elevators. I take mine for walks through town all the time. What is great about this is that there is a toy shop with a 7 ft stuffed bear standing outside. Mine totally ignore it. We have gone through construction sites and walk in down town Salem, Mass, which if you have not been to Salem, it it quite a seen. Anytime of the year, people are in Halloween costumes. I try to expose mine to as much as possible and make them as bomb proof as possible. I have yet to find anything Maggie is afraid of.

This is all good stuff to see and help us try to get this off the ground! Thank you

Some one had mentioned Delta Society, I have recently gone through there certification program and while most of it pertains to dogs it also can apply to our horses. I just sent in my info and an waiting for our badge and ID. Around our area its hard to get into hospitals without it, they wont even consider you unless you are delta. It was not a hard process and as long as you desensitize them and expose them to alot they do well. My girl that I take is about 1 1/2-2yr and she is great. We have gone to nursing home fairs with big bouncy things (for the kids of the families) that were hooked to generators and blowers and then we had dunk tanks etc and she took it all in stride. We are currently waiting for our badge as one of the big Hopsitals around here wants us as soon as we get it. Its so rewarding! I am currently working on starting a non-profit for this very thing, my main focus on terminally ill children. If /when you get this up and going and have website etc let me know and I can ad a link on my website. This is a great idea and would like to see something specifically for our mini's.

Some one had mentioned Delta Society, I have recently gone through there certification program and while most of it pertains to dogs it also can apply to our horses. I just sent in my info and an waiting for our badge and ID. Around our area its hard to get into hospitals without it, they wont even consider you unless you are delta. It was not a hard process and as long as you desensitize them and expose them to alot they do well. My girl that I take is about 1 1/2-2yr and she is great. We have gone to nursing home fairs with big bouncy things (for the kids of the families) that were hooked to generators and blowers and then we had dunk tanks etc and she took it all in stride. We are currently waiting for our badge as one of the big Hopsitals around here wants us as soon as we get it. Its so rewarding! I am currently working on starting a non-profit for this very thing, my main focus on terminally ill children. If /when you get this up and going and have website etc let me know and I can ad a link on my website. This is a great idea and would like to see something specifically for our mini's.
Did Delta charge you anything? I once applied about four years ago and they wanted some big bucks but had no real mini requirements.

I did all of my own training and then contacted a evaluator that was qualified (through delta) to evaluate a mini and went to there test time and they put me through a series of test if you will. We had loud groups that walked and stomped around to see how we both handles ourselves, we had groups that touched us and hugged and hung on to us to see what we would both do and we had loud noises and weird flooring and all sorts of things they put us through. Its as much about are you ready to deal with the public and represent the horse and delta as it is about the mini. They charged me the normal fee if you will that they charge to become a delta pet partner. You are covered under their liability umbrella (its also recommended you get more but it still covers) You can get on their website and they will send you their study book. I did not live near an evaluator to do classes or anything so they sent me the book and then I looked through there policies cause I had already done the training and then got a hold of someone who could evaluate her and we went. Now we traveled over an hour but we wont have to evaluate for another 2 yrs. There are a few things that I really like about having delta and there are a few things I really dont care for but it will be like that no matter what program you are working with. For me its worth having a recognized name attached to us till people get to know us, also the liability is a comfort as well. If you have any other Q's about Delta and the process or about what we do or what to expect on visits or as far as training on to do this, just let me know. While I think there are several people out there who do it just cause we take for granted our mini's laid back personalities and their size its not a uniformed thing and there is not much our there to help those who want to get started doing this.

I did all of my own training and then contacted a evaluator that was qualified (through delta) to evaluate a mini and went to there test time and they put me through a series of test if you will. We had loud groups that walked and stomped around to see how we both handles ourselves, we had groups that touched us and hugged and hung on to us to see what we would both do and we had loud noises and weird flooring and all sorts of things they put us through. Its as much about are you ready to deal with the public and represent the horse and delta as it is about the mini. They charged me the normal fee if you will that they charge to become a delta pet partner. You are covered under their liability umbrella (its also recommended you get more but it still covers) You can get on their website and they will send you their study book. I did not live near an evaluator to do classes or anything so they sent me the book and then I looked through there policies cause I had already done the training and then got a hold of someone who could evaluate her and we went. Now we traveled over an hour but we wont have to evaluate for another 2 yrs. There are a few things that I really like about having delta and there are a few things I really dont care for but it will be like that no matter what program you are working with. For me its worth having a recognized name attached to us till people get to know us, also the liability is a comfort as well. If you have any other Q's about Delta and the process or about what we do or what to expect on visits or as far as training on to do this, just let me know. While I think there are several people out there who do it just cause we take for granted our mini's laid back personalities and their size its not a uniformed thing and there is not much our there to help those who want to get started doing this.
That is exactly why I think the Minis should have their own group and their own certification, because who knows more about a mini than a mini owner. Most of these programs have no clue about horses. It was mentioned by sixstardanes that maybe a blacksmith and vet that knows the mini could do the evalution but Maggie, my mini, is a witch on wheels in her own environment and although good with the blacksmith, not so with the vet, they have not seen her work in a nursing facility. She has been trained so that when her "working" halter goes on, she knows exactly what to do, similar to police dogs who are fine with everyone until the "working" collar goes on. So there are a lot of "bumps" in the road to get this going, but I think that if we band together, hash over the certification thing and get a liability insurance program in place, maybe this will come to fruition.

I would also be very interested in having one of my horses enrolled in a Therapy program. Thanks for starting the thread. I have always wanted to do this and appreciate all the info I am getting from all the replies.

For those of you who want to start your horses training, I really do recommend using a specific halter (leather, because it looks nice when visiting, I have a western show halter I use) that you use only for "work". It teaches them that when this halter goes on, it is time to behave, to listen, to let people hug and kiss you, etc. I put her halter on when I get to the facility and always say "Okay Maggie, time to make people smile" then put the halter on. This takes time and practice. But if you have people around who are willing to help you by sitting in a chair and letting you move your horse to them and then they can pat her and hug her and stroke her face and kiss her, because that is what is going to happen when you make a visit, it will move you and your horse in the right direction. It is the foundation you can build on. Backing and side passing are necessary to move your horse away from tight situations. We have had to move quietly through rows of wheelchairs and walkers and being calm and trained on voice command is extremely important. Mine also has been taught sign language. If I extend my arm out to the right and point, she sidepasses that way, ditto for the left. These are just a few of the things that can start you out in the right direction. I am sure others have recommendations too and hopefully they will post them for everyone. If anyone is interested in seeing Maggie at a visit, there is a video of her visiting a Senior Day Care on youtube. I think you punch in miniature therapy horse and you can find it.

Lets all work together on this and get our little mini's in motion making life a little better for seniors and handicapped individuals, the smiles are so rewarding.

I have the perfect canidate. My feather is about 28" and is the most gentle little horse and only going on 2 years old. I take him for rides in our van and take him to the public walking paths. He loves the people. Kids especially. If he walks by a child, he will stop and refuse to walk for us. It was amazeing to watch him the last time we went out. There was a mentally disabled little girl, no more than 9 years old. Her parents asked if she could pet Feather. Of course I told them, they approched him and stopped just far enough to reach out and pet him. He walked right up to this little girl and put his nose against her belly and just rested himself. I couldn't of been more proud of him!
default_wub.png

Just an update, I have put a call into a Horse Insurance Co. to see what the cost of liability insurance would be for a group, will keep you posted. Anyone out there good at creating web pages for this if we can get it going?
I think we also would need a couple of mini owners who have been doing this sort of thing for a while to review the questionaire responses from nursing facilities for recommendation for certification by the group. This would be just for minis and governed by minis. Feedback welcome.
I can very easily put together a website when everything is in order. I'll see what it will cost to make another.

While I can understand about special tack designed for doing therapy visits

(we actually do that with our dogs so they know its a work day and not a park or beach trip) I personally expect Saber to behave everytime he's haltered and when he goes out in public.

As for preparing for visitation going out into public settings really can help.

One location that can be ideal is outside of your local supermarket/grocery store.

This location can be good as it gets all sorts of people which of course most are going to be wanting to pet your mini.

Also with the vehicle & cart movement around the area it can help get a mini use to hustle & bustle.

To become a pet partner it cost me 75.00 dollars but that is the same across the board for dog, cat, rabbit etc... While there book is not real great at addressing minis they do have a test for them. I forgot to mention earlier that I am in the last phases of an e-book on the how to of starting up and training for thereapy work with a mini. If there is any Q's you guys you think should be answered or things that you think need to be in it or are curious about please pm me and let me know. Its real helpful so I can make sure to cover everything so it can be a nice easy broad based for every situation and for everyone to be able to use. I have done a lot of research on the internet and cant seem to find much on it. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts or ideas, I can add or edit before I do my final edit on it.

Did Delta charge you anything? I once applied about four years ago and they wanted some big bucks but had no real mini requirements.

I can very easily put together a website when everything is in order. I'll see what it will cost to make another.
That sounds great, thank you for the offer.

Latest posts

Back