Artificial Insemination Cost Breakdown

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AI doesn't need to be cheaper than shipping a mare for live cover, the advantage is it is safer.

Every summer I deal with mares and foals that have gotten ill or died at the breeding farm, strangles, and stallions that have gotten injured breeding the outside mare. I have rarely seen these due to negligence, rather crap just happens. But, if you're attached to your mare, foal or stallion then these things produce bad feelings.

Dr Taylor

People don't ship their mares long distances to get bred, from what I've read here in the past few years. Its not like the QH or TB industry where that's the norm. So $40 in fuel to drive to the local farm, or $1000 to buy your own stud, is a lot cheaper than $1000+ per mare just in AI related expenses.

I so agree Doc.

I am very lucky in that my neighbor runs an equine facility and I help out down there. Feature was tested and we found the right extender that did great with him. Remember there are many facilities like my neighbors that are not as expensive as using a vet.

Collection fee 100.00

Inseminate a mare 35.00

Pick up at facility 50.00

Shipping US 125.00 Fed Ex next day

AI in Small Equine

I went in to the clinic Kendra Gale works in mid-may and asked for an estimate and the lady quoted me $800-900, for the collection and storage. They have always been great about making adjustments for the minis and they said they could do it.

But the point of this story is a week later, my stallion that I would have booked in passed away from a very sudden colic. It was very sad as he is leaving me with only two bred mares, due here soon. Most of the mares he ever produced are treasured by their owners (so hard to get his past babies) and he produced a world champion stallion too.

So now I always think, what if I could have went through with booking an appointment before he died?

So.. I believe the rules should be changed, regarding semen from dead stallions. I'm positive that there is plenty of Boones Little Buckeroo and many other horses' semen stored.. and for that quality semen to essentially be gone to waste because of registry rules.. Its just sad.

That really stinks
default_sad.png
I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to do it before.

$900 does seem rather steep... we used to charge $400-550.

Latest posts

Back