What is normal mini temperature?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Giddy has a white snotty nose tonight, no coughing, I took his temp 101.7- is this normal?

What should I do?

For us, a normal temp is between 99 to 101. degrees...........A lot also depends on the circumstances of how or when the temp is taken.

I personally wouldn't panic over white snots and the 101.7 degree temp by itself. I would also take into account the horse's appetite and if they were alert or depressed....... If the horse was off their feed and acting "off" or depressed in any way, I would be watching them......taking their temperature again, making sure the manure was normal, etc..... and then let my vet know. I would also watch their respiration and heart rate.

He acts fine, ate all his dinner, let me wipe the snot out of his nose and take his temp with no fuss.. I also tapped under his eyes and felt in his ears-also no fuss

I will watch him and then call the vet.

Thanks for responding-I had a post on the mini horse side but couldnt get enough info so posted on the back porch hoping someone would respond..

Your vet will probably tell you a lot of the same thing I said......and to observe.......and then get back to him tomorrow. I betcha a buck....... Is he a youngster? That may also be a part of it..........especially with weather changes happening.

Missy,

When Miss Melody was so sick I believe the vet said that her temp should be around what Giddy's is. He might be a little high but not too much. Just keep an eye on him. I should ad that Miss Melody's was 106 at some points. So 101.7 isn't too shabby and I think it is very close if not within normal range.

Latest posts

Back